BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

mac server; how can windows people find printers?

Erika Epstein
Booster
In an office with a mac server OSX 10.3.8 everyone is connected with a wireless network.

For those of us with pcs (win xp sp2) we have great difficulty finding the printers. So far each day we have to either print out the port (changes daily) and enter it in or transfer files manually to the server with a memory stick.
There must be a better way.

Any clues/hints/tips or other questions I need to get you answers for first?
thanks
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
4 REPLIES 4
__archiben
Booster
i haven't been in front of an OSX server system for a while now, but i have a feeling you set up the server to find the printers and then start the 'Print Server' service from the server. the pc should then be able to join one of these 'print queues' and let the server handle whereabouts they are on the network.

it sounds as though your network is also set up to broadcast IP addresses to devices as they need them (DHCP) as well? this could lead to your daily changes. if you setup each IP address manually and assign each machine its dedicated IP address you should overcome the constant changing? just a guess . . .

as i said, i haven't had a chance to look into this, just remembering my OSX server days some eight months ago now . . .

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Erika Epstein
Booster
Thanks Ben,
I'll give it a try in the morning.
Bottoms up!
Erika
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
__archiben
Booster
Erika wrote:
Bottoms up!
cheers!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Erika wrote:
For those of us with pcs (win xp sp2) we have great difficulty finding the printers. So far each day we have to either print out the port (changes daily) and enter it in or transfer files manually to the server with a memory stick.
There must be a better way.
This should be no different to printing through a Windows-based server if you are using the Print Services of Mac OS X server. Do you have an administrator for the office network?

Take a look at the Print Services blurb at http://images.apple.com/server/pdfs/Print_Services_TB_v10.4.pdf
Ralph Wessel BArch
Learn and get certified!