Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

magic trackpad

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Apple just announced the release of the Magic Trackpad. I have always thought the mouse worked better than a trackpad could, but I have never done CAD work on a laptop. Does anyone think this is a viable alternative? What are the pros and cons now that it is available for the desktop?
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
26 REPLIES 26
Andy Thomson
Advisor
OK, so some time has passed, any further reports? I just picked up a magic trackpad because my carpal tunnel started bugging the shit out of me. What is nice is I can avoid 'the claw' position that everyone says is the cause of the problem. And tapping commands is way less strain that clicking buttons. Zooming in/out with two fingers sliding right/left is not so bad (seems like it could be better with better graphics) - but pan is weak - I mean the opt/alt + two fingers panning. It works in reverse - like old cad. Anyone figured out how to normalize pan a bit - and get it to be as quick/seamless as panning with a middle click on a mouse? Magic prefs has a 'middle button' option for three finger tap or touch, but it will not invoke pan... I know there is a solution in there somewhere!
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
aahatimo
Newcomer
i setup two fingers for secondary tap in system prefs > trackpad. then i hold down pressure on trackpad w/ 2 fingers to pan. 3d orbit with same action but while holding down shift key. not the smoothest action, but works. i do not get same action using those settings in magic prefs.
i also setup the bottom left hand corner of magic trackpad to secondary click in system prefs > trackpad. this works like right click.
pinch to zoom does not work for me, but 2 fingers up and down does.
it will be great when this really gets worked out. a bit too inconsistent for me right now. i usually use magic mouse with ac. is it any different with lion, still on 10.6.8 for now here.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Tried all of these combos also. Pan really bites, it is the opposite direction of regular mouse panning. I don't mind zoom as up/down swiping so much - I just wish GS would enable panning the same way google maps does. It works fine with the track pad as one would expect, click-sliding results in panning, same as middle-click sliding does with a mouse!
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
MrC
Advocate
http://magicprefs.com/
check this out
ILIFFE ARCHITECTURAL

BRITISH COLUMBIA

macbook pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

AC 21 USA (latest build)
aahatimo
Newcomer
Just noticed new archicadwiki regarding ac and magic trackpad:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/MagicTrackpad
So gs is checking it out. No real new info.
tim hanagan
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
aahatimo
Newcomer
I guess we will have to wait until ac19 is ready for El Capitan to see how Magic Trackpad 2 works with Archicad.
Does or will GS have any MT2 units to try out while working on compatibility?
Will GS enable Force Touch & Multi Touch actions in Archicad in v19 or future versions?
tim hanagan
aahatimo
Newcomer
Has anyone been able to get the Magic Trackpad2 to work with AC 19 and OS 10.11.3? I have been trying using both trackpad settings and MagicPrefs.
Had it working pretty well before my update to the new trackpad, new iMac and El Cap.
tim hanagan