BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

mesh to roof tool - extrusion direction

schagemann
Enthusiast
hello,

we are wondering if there is way of influencing the direction which the mesh to roof tool extrudes to... it automatically seems to use the mesh as bottom layer and creates the corresponding roofs on top.

and just another thought to throw in... would it not be great if one could assign a thickness to any given mesh thus making the rather awkward mesh to roof tool redundant altogether?

looking forward to any reply...

ds.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
Oleg Shmidt's curtain objects are mathematically impressive. Generating the parametrically adjustable (and very realistic) cloth folds is just incredible.
I agree with you, Richard. Oleg is a champion. He too, wrote a 3D mesh object, alas without thickness. Too late now.

Back to topic. IMO, Mesh to Roof is a bit outdated.
Not any smooth surfaces, or hiden edges + exorbitant polycount. Too much static.
Vertical thickness only. Perpendicular thickness is impossible to manage. To keep polite.

SEO method preserves smoothness, but allows only vertical thickness. SEOs slow down calculation time.

Better if both options (vertical & perpendicular thickness) could be fully implemented into the mesh tool.
Hard work, i can figure. This is a long & old wish, it never hurts to ask GS from time to time.

@ schagemann : by vertical & perpendicular thickness, i mean this.
I am not sure if my explanations are understandable.
Learn and get certified!