Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

new PC advice (old pc: slow updates on elevations)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to buy a new PC my old one works ok but is slow with shadows even on small projects. And slow regenerating in elevation views.

OLD PC
i5@3,2Ghz (quad-core)
240GB SSD
8GB RAM
Nivdia quadro K620

New PC
i7@4,0Ghz (quad-core)
256GB SSD M.2
32GB RAM
Nvidia quadro K620 (I would like to wait for the new PASCAL microarchitecture or maybe a game video card??)

Regenerating elevation views will this be faster with the new PC? And 3D shadows?
21 REPLIES 21
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Would it be possible for you to ask the sales guys to let you install ARCHICAD on it and try it? Based on the specs, it is not possible to tell without knowing the exact type of your old and new CPU. What is the type behind i5 and i7? i5-2000 (such as i5-2600) series, 3000 series, 6000 series (e.g. i7-6700). These are different generations of Intel CPUs.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I already ordered the New PC. If the PC has still slow updates on elevations I post in this topic.
Anonymous
Not applicable
tjibbe wrote:
I already ordered the New PC. If the PC has still slow updates on elevations I post in this topic.
The most likely you will not see any performance changes.
shtarkel
Participant
tjibbe wrote:
Regenerating elevation views will this be faster with the new PC? And 3D shadows?
Yes! The CPU is used for generating views and shadows, so buy the best possible CPU with 4-6-8 cores!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I found the price between 4x4.0Ghz i7 and 6x3.5 Ghz Xeon to large. (€350 vs €600 and more expensive motherboard for the Xeon)

Two 4-core 3.6Ghz Xeon on a dual CPU motherboard was the best option in my opinion but still €700 more then 4-core at 4.0Ghz, This because the high price of dual CPU motherboards.
Anonymous
Not applicable
it is not easy to predict what will AC20 demand. But current picture tells me: "go for cores, not frequency".
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just having a new hardware discussion with the bosses. and i'm trying to figure out whether to push for a high end graphics card or not. What processes are these used for?

This could mean the difference between 2 or 3 new PCs which is a big deal for a creaking system.
DGSketcher
Legend
There is some firm guidance from Graphisoft on the selection of graphics cards to work with AC. I can't remember where it is just now but search these forums and you will see graphics cards are a popular topic. You can pay a lot of money and not see any benefit!!!
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)