Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

new iMac!

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
The new iMac looks great. 27"!!! Choice of i5 or i7 quad-core. Is it worth the $200 extra for the i7? Will AC see a significant speed increase? Also, going from 4 to 8 gigs of ram is an extra $200. Until 64 bit comes out for AC, will that affect performance (with just AC running)?

Thanks
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
18 REPLIES 18
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Stephen wrote:
The new iMac looks great. 27"!!! Choice of i5 or i7 quad-core. Is it worth the $200 extra for the i7? Will AC see a significant speed increase? Also, going from 4 to 8 gigs of ram is an extra $200. Until 64 bit comes out for AC, will that affect performance (with just AC running)?

Thanks
I think the i7 offers greatly increased performance.
See these comparison charts:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts/benchmarks,60.html
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
A loaded 27" system sounds pretty wonderful and the price sure seems reasonable. 😉 Good to see Apple go LED with all of their displays now - no mercury, but apparently instantly bright with no warm-up and better color gamut.

K
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I received my new iMac 27" 2.8GHz i7 (4GB) last Friday and it is a great machine. The screen is great and the speed is incredible for everything else. (Video processing-Visual Hub/Handbrake shows CPU use at 700% - surprising for a quad core machine)

My previous machines were a PowerMac G5 (2x2GHz) tower and an original MacBookPro 15" 2.16 GHZ Core Duo (32 bit 2GB RAM max).

ArchiCAD performance is still limited. There is good rendering performance for Sketch rendering (400% CPU) but Lightworks seems limited to 100%. 3d generation is also still not great (about a 50% improvement from my laptop- commensurate with the GHz change) but sections and trace reference seem snapier. I'm finishing up a project in CDs so there's not a lot of visualization work, but the ATI card seems very smooth on OpenGL 3D flythroughs.

Hopefully after this project is complete I can try out AC in windows under Parallels or BootCamp to see if thats a better experience.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Thompson, wrote:
(Video processing-Visual Hub/Handbrake shows CPU use at 700% - surprising for a quad core machine)
The i7 quad-core processor supports hyperthreading, meaning programs see eight "virtual" cores. That's why it's so much faster than the i5.

My dual quad-coreMacPro 2009 has 16 virtual cores. Seems to me Archicad 13 makes good use of them in many situations, sketch rendering, section generation, drawing updates etc. But not Lightworks. Get Artlantis instead!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Apple is having some sort of sale on Friday. I wonder if the new iMac will be part of it? Tomorrow will tell.
owen
Newcomer
There are some benchmarks out now for the i5 and i7 iMacs ... and they are very impressive indeed.

On the multi-CPU Cinebench test the i7 rendered the scene in 0:58 vs 0:45 for a 2.26Ghz 8-Core Mac Pro! The i7 beats the 4-Core Mac Pro.

I think it is a no-brainer to go with an i7 if you are considering an iMac - they are half the price of a 4-Core Mac Pro, faster and come with a bigger screen. The Core2Duos really don't make sense anymore unless you really cannot afford the extra $500 .. which i dont think applies to anyone using it for work.

Definitely on my shopping list

http://www.macworld.com/article/143970/2009/11/core15_imac.html

http://handras.hu/?p=1869
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I just ordered an i7 today. $101 off-not as much as I'd hoped, but better than nothing. Should arrive in about 2 weeks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok i'll admit it, I know very little about how computers run and ram and processors etc, all I know is that I like my specs to have higher numbers in them as apposed to lower numbers!!

So my question is: would it be worth taking the 27" i7 all the way and loading it up with 16GB of RAM? When I say worth it, would it reduce rendering times in Lightworks and 3ds/Vray, and would it improve the overall speed of ArchiCAD?

Im thinking yes, but I would like someone with a little more hardware experience to let me know either way.

Chers,

Mike
Anonymous
Not applicable
fuzzymike2002 wrote:
So my question is: would it be worth taking the 27" i7 all the way and loading it up with 16GB of RAM? When I say worth it, would it reduce rendering times in Lightworks and 3ds/Vray, and would it improve the overall speed of ArchiCAD?
I would say that 4GB is the minimum, 8GB is desirable, but 16GB is overkill in most cases.

I have 16GB in my MacPro and do often push the limits but that is only when I am running multiple OS's, several ArchiCADs, Photoshop, InDesign, Revit, NavisWorks, Acrobat and the usual other stuff (Mail, Safari, etc.)

My MacBook Pro runs just fine with 4GB. I will probably max it out to 8GB soon, mostly so I can run a Windows VM without tedious memory swapping.