BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

"ArchiCAD 18 is not writable" Mac OS X 10.10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just downloaded and ran my new student version of ArchiCAD 18. I entered my given serial number and username just fine without any problems. After i accept the terms of use, the next page says, "Click Next to install ArchiCAD 18 to this folder, or click Browse to install to a different folder." once a click "Next" at the bottom of the page i get an error that reads "Error: MacintoshHD:Applications:GRAPHISOFT:ArchiCAD 18 is not writable."

So in attempt to change this I click "Browse..." to change the installation file, but the entire application does not respond rendering me useless.

I'm am running the latest version of Mac OS X 10.10, which might be the cause for such problems.

How can I fix this, and further the installation?
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Are you logged in as the administrator on your Mac? If so, then use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your boot drive and try the installation again.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am logged in as the administrator. In Disk Utility i am able to Verify Disk, but the options Verify Disk Permissions, Repair Disk Permissions, and Repair Disk are not available to use.
Karl Ottenstein
"Repair Disk" is disabled for the boot drive. (You would have to reboot in recovery mode - cmd-R during bootup - to repair the boot partition.)

But, Repair Disk Permissions should be available. I'm guessing that you have clicked on the main disk drive icon ... and not the boot partition that is indented under it. Click on the actual partition and Repair Disk Permissions should be available.

It may be necessary to manually correct the permission on your MacintoshHD:Applications folder as well as the MacintoshHD:Applications:Graphisoft folder and all subfolders if something has gotten corrupted.

Check your Applications folder: select it in Finder and press cmd-I (File > Get Info). Go to the bottom of the panel and look at "Sharing & Permissions". Verify that system and admin have read & write access and everyone has read only. Check the Graphisoft folder and perhaps some of its subfolders. In my case (which may not be correct/normal?) - the owner is me and I, admin and everyone have read/write access.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was able to go into MacintoshHD:Applications and change the permissions for that folder, but i do not have an Applications folder named Graphisoft.

However, when i attempt to install i get a new error message reading "The specific directory is an ArchiCAD directory. Please use a different directory which is not an Archicad directory."

Once again I am not able to make use of the Browse button.
Learn and get certified!