BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

smart connection of composite walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just upgraded from 8 to 9 & the wall editing of composite walls does not seem to be working in the usual manner.

270mm Cavity Brick walls are not joining correctly at the wall corners.

Have tried the usual ways to overcome this problem but no luck as yet - any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
Aussie John
Newcomer
Aran Hadnt noticed any problem. Can you post a screen shot?
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
John, a screen shot of my problem is attached
cheers Aran
Aussie John
Newcomer
The clean up is determined by the core definitions of the composite wall. Unfortunately to join up the cavity which is what you want to do will mess up any dimensioning.

Its a problem that I dont know the answer to. (except for kludgy patches)
Cheers John
[/size]
Karl Ottenstein
Aran wrote:
John, a screen shot of my problem is attached
cheers Aran
Tap F7 to display your reference lines. Your screenshot looks like your reference lines are not intersecting cleanly (regardless of core settings), and so I suspect you may be using a reference line offset.

If you don't see anything immediately amiss, try stretching each wall back at one of those bad corners. Then select both walls and issue the 'intersect' command (a good one to have associated with a shortcut key). Does it clean now? If not, post a screenshot zoomed on a bad corner with reference lines displayed and with the wall settings dialog open and adjacent.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Aussie John
Newcomer
I've tried it Karl and if the cavity is set to be the core then the walls never join.
After thinking about it here is my solution.

Create two composite walls - type 1 (core as the cavity) Type 2 (core full width). Otherwise walls are identical. Make the intersection with the type 1 wall and make the walls as short as you like. Add the type 2 to the ends of the type one and the clean up is perfect. Dimension to the type 2 wall
Cheers John
[/size]
Karl Ottenstein
Aussie wrote:
I've tried it Karl and if the cavity is set to be the core then the walls never join.
Interesting, John.

I did the same with a composite that is gyp, frame, paper/sheathing, air gap, brick. When doing real work, i only ever set the bearing wall (frame in this case) to be the core, since I dimension to that for the framers.

I tried three versions like you suggested, all skins core, bearing frame core, and the air gap/cavity as core. In all cases the corners join perfectly - something I didn't see in the original post. A T-intersection behaves differently, with the cavity joining only if the cavity is in the core.

But, I'm not about to defend the way composites join (!). I spend an inordinate amount of time creating variants of composites to force things to join the way I want and have been known to use the patch tool just to get things done at times. 😞

Regards,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Aussie John
Newcomer
I was more concerned with the T junction and the way the cavity wouldnt join. I had a situation once where two rooms had to be separated for acoustic reasons by a cavity wall. The inner wall going straight through was unacceptable.
And yes the corners should join.
Cheers John
[/size]
Learn and get certified!