Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

text edit files

Dave Brach
Advocate
in the past 8-12 months I have started seeing multiple automatically -generated text edit files appearing in every folder that has .pln files. What are they and is there a way to stop this or set the mac finder so they do not show up? to me it's just clutter when I'm looking for files
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
4 REPLIES 4
SeRohde
Booster
I have absolutly no experience or knowledge of Macs - but at first sight the cloud icon gets my attention.
Could it be related to the folder which is linked to a cloud and the synchronizing state is stored in such files (src_0123465789) ?
The filesize indicates this too i guess.
Admin of BIM [Cloud] [SaaS] [Server] | AC 19-25 [Win&Mac Clients] | VM's
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your question and I am very sorry about the issue!

As SeRohde mentioned, the cloud icon in the screenshot makes me wonder: Are you using any cloud backup service to save Archicad files? Those src file could be the temporary file of the backing up process that was not deleted afterward?
Could you try to save the file locally and see if the issue persists inside the local folder?

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Dave Brach
Advocate
oh yes, we use box drive. I'll take the question to them, thanks
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
mikas
Expert
This happens with dropbox too sometimes. I don't know about Box.

Regarding to DropBox only:
They should not be any important files, and I have understood you can delete them if you want/need to.

I am not sure, but I think these appear if your file is big enough, and you save too rapidly after another save just before. I mean like a second or a couple of seconds after just another earlier save.

They supposedly are some temporary cache or helper files for the cloud sync agent to keep on track with the user hitting panic saves. Might be a symptom of a temporary internet problem too. Sync after save has not received a confirmation, so a temporary file is necessary too keep the promised time line available. There is this feature (DropBox) to go back in time, like a snapshot or Time Machine recovery spot for a file.

That's my understanding, but I really don't know for sure. Those files should not be visible to the user though.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS