BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

two offices: one all PC and one all mac

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to know the most effective way to allow our new other office, which is all PC, to work on projects together with my mac folks here. They can access our Mac OS X 10.2 server through our VPN.

Are therre any cross platform file format issues?

Is it best for the files to be copied down locally then uploaded when the work is done.

It is a shame that Archicad does nto have a Dreamweaver like check in and check out system that allows you to work locally on the files and then ftp them up when your done.

I am new to being an arch. IT guy. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!!!
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
AFAIK, There are no file format issues. I have been sharing files between Windows and Mac (between my own machines and with my clients) with no significant problems for years now. The one file format issue that might come up is with older library parts (version 6.0 and earlier, I think). The best bet is to use libraries that have been converted for AC8.

Teamwork allows you to sign out parts of projects (or entire projects) and send only changes. I haven't tried it over VPN and it might be too slow. The specific practices will depend on the nature of your projects and work flow.
Djordje
Ace
jkuhn wrote:
I need to know the most effective way to allow our new other office, which is all PC, to work on projects together with my mac folks here. They can access our Mac OS X 10.2 server through our VPN.
I would advise you to seek consultancy from your local reseller; the local specifics of the network can impact the workflow adversely.

File format wise, there should be no problems, as Matthew said.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
jkuhn wrote:
I would advise you to seek consultancy from your local reseller; the local specifics of the network can impact the workflow adversely.

File format wise, there should be no problems, as Matthew said.
As a distributor in Denmark we have set up a TeamWork VPN net10 ArchiCAD 8 in a clients office in CPH. They have without problems been working from four locations in Denmark and Sweden on the same large scale cinema project, 6000 square meters, with TeamWork.

However, GRAPHISOFT, do not support the VPN network solution.

Frank
Learn and get certified!