BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.
SOLVED!

BIM Cloud server recommendations

psmith
Booster

We are looking to replace our current BIMcloud server.

We have 15-20 users and projects that could be considered medium size (including large apartment buildings)

With respect to operating system - Windows 11 or WIndows Server 2022? What are the benefits of going to Windows Server? 

Currently looking at something like this
Processor: Intel Core i9-13900K 5.8GHz 24 cores
RAM: 32GB RAM DDR5
Application Disk: 500GB NVME SSD
Database Disk: 2TB NVME SSD in Raid Sequential Read Speed: Up to 7,450 MB/s - Sequential Write Speed: Up to 6,900 MB/s

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Director - Smith & Tzannes
Archicad 26

Windows 11
ipadOS
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

BIMcloud Software as a Service is being scaled as the usage requires. There are pros and cons for both solutions (saas vs. on-premises), that's why I suggested contacting a local representative to find the best solution for a client's needs.

Boldizsár Vermes
Product Manager, Collaboration

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein

If you don't have a full time IT person, considering the size of your firm, I would recommend looking at the Bimcloud Software as Service (SAS) option where Graphisoft hosts everything for you eliminating the need to maintain a server, deal with ports /remote access etc etc and you just sign up and go.  Requires a good internet connection though as the service is in the cloud - but physically located in or near whatever country you are in.  Not a sales pitch, as I'm just a customer like you.

To do it on your own, see these hardware recommendations:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Installation-update/Recommended-Hardware-for-BIMcloud/ta-p/30407...

To learn about BIMcloud as a Service see:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Getting-started/BIMcloud-as-a-Service/ta-p/304068

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
psmith
Booster

Yep I have thought about the SAAS option. Our internet connection at the office is satisfactory, but not amazing. Do you have experience with SAAS?  do you use the delta cache? I assume for on-premises users the read/write would be slower.

Thanks

Archicad 26

Windows 11
ipadOS

I don't have direct experience with the SAAS option.  For a reasonably good internet connection, your on-premises users would not notice much difference doing send/receive operations because the amount of information exchanged is so small.  The only time the internet speed would be noticeable would be for the initial project upload, and the initial project download to each workstation.

Perhaps an experienced user / BIM Manager could provide better insight here if you provided  speedtest results... run at some point when everyone in the office isn't busy on the internet...

https://www.speedtest.net/

AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Boldizsar Vermes
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

@psmith, please consult with the BIMcloud Software as a Service system requirements, especially the paragraph under the table about the latency. If you are unsure or want more assistance with choosing the proper setup for your needs, I suggest contacting your local Graphisoft support representative.

Boldizsár Vermes

The thing with BCaaS is that you pay $ 100, I think it was, for the service and the first user, and then 100 for each addtional user. So 15 people on the server means $1500 monthly, and you have a hiccup the moment you need 16. I think BCaaS is more suitable for smaller offices. But I may have outdated information. 

@Ignacio Azpiazu The current advertised price (at least in USD) is $ 43.33/month billed annually ($520/year/user)

https://graphisoft.com/buy-now

I imagine that the sales contact can negotiate a price for a large number of users.  As far as I know, there is no limit and BIMcloud SAAS is supposed to be scaleable to more powerful servers as the user load increases from what I read.   I don't believe it is intended for any particular sized office.   Perhaps @Boldizsar Vermes can confirm that.

Solution

BIMcloud Software as a Service is being scaled as the usage requires. There are pros and cons for both solutions (saas vs. on-premises), that's why I suggested contacting a local representative to find the best solution for a client's needs.

Boldizsár Vermes

Thans to all. I did contact our local Graphisoft supplier... the cost for the SAAS does not justify the benifits for a practice of our site.

I can really see the benefits for smaller practices, where the cost per user of the server is greater. But for us, after the 1st year we will be paying more for SAAS than our new server would cost us...   

Archicad 26

Windows 11
ipadOS
Learn and get certified!