Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Animation Issue: Why are booleans not updated during animations?

Aurasphere
Expert

Whilst the 'rebuild each frame' for objects is provably working, why do booleans that use objects to animate, not update?

Please see example anim

Mark Wesse
AC26 | Win10 | Since v6.5r
Architerion - Architectural Systems Developer
Aurasphere - Acoustics
Building Biology - Human Compatible Architecture
"--- Every time...do it better ---"

2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly

I don't necessarily have an answer for you, but I just want to clarify what is happening.

You have a timber block - I am not sure if that is an object or an element such as a slab - I don't think it matters if it is separate to the cutting element.

The cutting element is an object scripted to change size based on the camera frame number.

That is a solid prism in GDL but is in a wire frame layer?

You then use a 'boolean' (Solid Element Operation) to subtract the cutting element from the timber block.

That obviously works in static 3D view, but when you create the animation movie, the boolean (SEO)  for the increasing size cutting object does not happen.

So if that is what you have set up, then these are my thoughts.

I recall an option somewhere to rebuild and regenerate for each frame (I just can't remember where it is) - I assume that is on.

Maybe the animation just doesn't process the boolean (SEO) operation - I have never tried.

If that is the case, then you could make the timber slab and the cutting element all one object.

Use GROUPs and SUBTRACTGROUP to create the cut object.

The group for the cutting part of the object will still have the animation per frame as you have now.

So now the cutting and animation is all done within the one object so I think it should animate as you want.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry

You are correct but the object is MODEL SOLID, it is just showing wireframe as I used an 'invisible' material so that the cut would be obvious

2nd time I wrote the post...first one had 'Rebuild Model' etc

ie It is simply a slab element being cut by an object

This is meant to be a simple way to do full frame cutplanes as the cutaway is not animatable; its not a GDL detail etc

The idea is that this is a generic cutting object; and with targeted cutting so you can animate the whole model being cutaway

1. Sweep 1 removes roof etc and all other non wall details

2. Sweep (object 2 with different sizing/keyframes) then removes the walls etc leaving only the core structurals etc

Extrapolate this to whatever you want but its def meant to be a fast and easy way to do basic multi section cutaway. I will move it to a custom profile that can be loaded to give the traditional wavy horizontal cut line in industrial blow out diagrams etc

Its obvious that the boolean is being updated and I understand in most instances its prob best practice but in this instance, it renders it unusable and even animating via Python api ie cutaway cannot do multi level reductions etc

Its simple with just a wireframe on FP for each of the keyframe positions

Aurasphere_0-1706836204340.png

Cheers

Mark Wesse
AC26 | Win10 | Since v6.5r
Architerion - Architectural Systems Developer
Aurasphere - Acoustics
Building Biology - Human Compatible Architecture
"--- Every time...do it better ---"