BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Artlantis - Need more polygons!

jamespage11
Participant
What's going on here? I drew some vanities for a bathroom - they're custom profile walls rotated around a very small radius, saved as embedded objects and then set into separate custom profile walls for the counters with a subtraction SEO. They look fine in Archicad, as you can see in the screen shot below, but when I import the model into Artlantis they come out with a ridiculously low number of polygons. Luckily the finish I want is a streaky, thick glaze so I was able to disguise it a little, but it still looks terrible. (Rendered image to follow) Anyone know how to fix this?

untitled.JPG
Cape Town, South Africa

AC 24
Windows 10
Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz
NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
11 REPLIES 11
jamespage11
Participant
And the rendered image - ugh!
Vanity Close Up Male.jpg
Cape Town, South Africa

AC 24
Windows 10
jamespage11
Participant
Oops. Here's one without the water.
Cape Town, South Africa

AC 24
Windows 10
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
jamespage11 wrote:
when I import the model into Artlantis they come out with a ridiculously low number of polygons
Try creating the basins with OBJECTiVE. Create a swept profile with OBJECTiVE > Component > New Profile and select the profile type as Lathed.

This object settings include a tolerance parameter - the higher the tolerances, the fewer the polygons (see item 1 in the attached image). Item 2 shows the basin with the tolerances set to 10mm (very course), and item 3 at 0.1mm (very fine). This might give you a much better result in Artlantis.
basin.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
jamespage11
Participant
Thanks for the suggestion Ralph. I'm sure your software is excellent, but I'm afraid I'm still not interested in buying it. Thank you.

Can anyone else tell me if there's not a way to solve this with ARCHICAD?
Cape Town, South Africa

AC 24
Windows 10
jamespage11
Participant
Sorry, I'm reposting this becasue I think I posted in the wrong forum. Anyone know what's going on here? I drew some vanities for a bathroom - they're custom profile walls rotated around a very small radius, saved as embedded objects and then set into separate custom profile walls for the counters with a subtraction SEO. They look fine in Archicad, as you can see in this screenshot:

But when I import the model into Artlantis they come out with a ridiculously low number of polygons. Luckily the finish I want is a streaky, thick glaze so I was able to disguise it a little, but it still looks terrible.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Cape Town, South Africa

AC 24
Windows 10
Graham Whipple
Enthusiast
Based on the videos and information for AC15 it seems you might be able to do this more easily very soon.
In the meantime I might try to approach this with the Basic Shapes library parts and most likely use the dome object. Then flip the object upside down as a custom library part.

In the Basic Shapes you can set the resolution higher. You might want to try this approach within the out of the box functionality of ArchiCAD.
Graham Whipple
Resin Architecture

Idaho USA
jamespage11
Participant
Thanks Graham.

That could sort of work, but I'm going to end up with a really ugly flat edge to the basin, rather than what is supposed to be quite a complex elegant curve at the lip of it.

Those AC15 shells do look like they could be the answer though..
Cape Town, South Africa

AC 24
Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
jamespage11 wrote:
They look fine in Archicad, as you can see in the screen shot below, but when I import the model into Artlantis they come out with a ridiculously low number of polygons.
Try to right click on the basins and "merge vertexes", and then smoothen the material with the slider.
Graham Whipple
Enthusiast
Certainly with a complex edge that won't work. I would stick with the complex profile wall unless you can wait until AC15 is arrives and use the shell tool
Graham Whipple
Resin Architecture

Idaho USA
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!