Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Artlantis ..or LW AC 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
In my opinion Artl. is very good for interior (LW is too dificult to check the light)

For exterior LW with AC is absolutly better than artl.

What is your opinion?
Please help me.
Now I am considering to buy Artl or not...(in Germany bargainsale for 100 € for AC9 buyer)
20 REPLIES 20
buy it so the upgrade to the next version wont hurt so bad.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
learn a good 3d soft... also the new Artlantis 5 has a very strong radiosity engine but not yet available...

I vote for C4d... but Artlantis is ok
Anonymous
Not applicable
C4d....is it easy? Is it expensive?
Artlantis R ...but nobody knows, what Artlantis R can do.
Anonymous
Not applicable
andronikos916 wrote:
learn a good 3d soft... also the new Artlantis 5 has a very strong radiosity engine but not yet available...

I vote for C4d... but Artlantis is ok
Please explain your experiance with rendering software.
I agree, if I use one software, I will use permanantly like ArchiCAD.
To use several sotwares is too much work. As student ok
Anonymous
Not applicable
Managing and fine tuning materials in AC, raspectively LW, is very clumzy and inconvenient. There are many posts and wishes in this forum about this. ArtL manages them with ease like most advanced rendering programs. For me adjusting materials and producing test-renders for these materials takes much much more time than the final rendering.

So, if you want to keep work flowing, stick to ArtL! LW prodices great results but we'll have to wait to v10 (or 11 ???) for an easy way to work with it.

In the meantime give a try to VRAy! It's free
Karl Ottenstein
You cannot beat the simplicity, ease of learning, and interactive nature of Artlantis. As Kliment says, you are able to fine tune materials much more quickly than in AC with immediate feedback and the shadow control is still better than what we have in the AC implementation of LW today.

If you produce any animations, VR panoramas or objects, the interactive nature of setting them up and previewing them in Artlantis 4.5 is far superior to AC also.

Artlantis 5 promises radiosity and preliminary public images suggest that the results could be quite good. None of the beta testers is authorized to discuss this next version any further.

Today's price for Artlantis 4.5 - around $250 in the US at Objectsonline, as I recall, and the 100 euro posted here, make it a bargain, especially since it would qualify you to upgrade to Artlantis 5 when it is released.

C4D and the other 'professional' packages produce stunning images, but only after a much steeper learning curve, more set-up time, and a much higher purchase price. (The power and flexibility of these packages is astounding though.)

IMHO, for most users who want a little more interactivity in the material application/definition and scene set-up process than is provided by AC, Artlantis is the choice for ease of use. Also, moving and adjusting lights in Artlantis is a dynamic thing, seen in the preview window (an approximation anyway). Nothing in AC permits that. In AC (LW), you have to adjust your lights, render to see what is happening, adjust your lights some more, etc.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Kliment and karl.

You are right. LW for AC is quite dificult. I will miss window lite and sky lite.
Please see what the people do with lightworks...

http://221.242.58.202/~dispadio/index.html

How about to buy Lightworks rendering programm? (half joke)

Imagine.. every user has Artl.4.5 because of bargain, and updates to Artl.R ....in this case ..what kind of meaning with new rendering function from AC9?

I feel little bit kicked....
Thomas Holm
Booster
Guys,

one reason I've ditched Artlantis for LW (for now) is the texture mapping quirks in Artlantis. When i for instance want an identical wooden panel siding, created by using a material with a striped texture map, on all four sides of a house, I can't use one material for this, because it orients itself after the first instance applied. (This is easier to show than to explain with words, but being home at the moment I don't have an example at hand).

This mapping gets it right on the front facade of the house only (if that's where I applied it first). On the back, it's mirrored. On the right and left sides, a one pixel column of the texture map is spread all over.

(I think Dwight has explained this better somewhere).

The only workaround I've found is to create one material (identical, but with unique names, both for the material and the duplicated texture map) for each side orientation, and apply them individually. Too much work, compared to using Lightworks, where materials orient themselves correctly, perpendicular to the surface on which they're applied!

Perhaps someone knows if this is fixed in Artlantis R. If not, I'll probably jump the upgrade, radiosity or not.

Or perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Karl Ottenstein
Jakop wrote:
Imagine.. every user has Artl.4.5 because of bargain, and updates to Artl.R ....in this case ..what kind of meaning with new rendering function from AC9?

I feel little bit kicked....
I should clarify. I think LW in AC is still a huge value, and personally I rarely use Artlantis because I can get what I need on a day to day basis from LW/AC. The ray tracing, and sun, sky (heaven) and window-light objects can produce quite pleasing illumination.

For most of the images I generate, I can produce them faster in LW/AC than I can export them to Artlantis, open Artlantis, tweek and render. But (!)... if my work required a lot of material/shader changes (perhaps sitting side-by-side with a client or interior designer), or complex lighting (interiors), or lots of VR objects or animations, I would jump to Artlantis because I would both save time and keep things visual.

There is a place for each. LW is a huge value in AC 9.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB