Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Door Textures Rotated 90 degrees

MLWheeler
Booster

Can we have a conversation about this? Seems like it's been an issue for over 10 years with no obvious answers to fix.

I am using AC25 library doors (In AC25 Solo), one pocket, one hinged -- both doors have the texture rotated 90 degrees. 

texture example.png

Also same behaviour for architrave - texture runs perpendicular to material direction.

My room has vertical timber acoustic panelling for which I have set up custom surface, material and composites for walls; however, when I apply the surface to my doors, it displays perpendicular to the walls. 

As others have said before, yes, I could setup a duplicate surface and rotate it 90 degrees, but is this really the best solution to this issue? What am I missing?

Thanks

Marcus

UKI v.25 & 26 Solo - Windows 10
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Wir_n
Enthusiast

On many of the building elements, like walls, slabs etc, you can align the texture in a custom orientation. Got to document>creative imaging>align 3d-texture. Unfortunately there are limitations and the behaviour is different for different tools. The morph tool is the easiest to map and the column tool is the worst. If you try to make a wooden beam and a wooden column and intend to use the same material (since both are wood!) you need to alter the texture rotation in the material settings so that it fits the column. Then you have to select all beams and rotate the texture by using the "align texture" command.

If you after that want to apply the same material to an object, door or window, you might have problems with the direction again. It is funny because making a parameter in the gdl-script that lets the user rotate or translate the texture is very easy! I wonder why GS don't go through their library and add this feature to all scripted objects. I script many objects myself and I also copy objects from the standard library and add extra features to them. When I do that I always add the ability to rotate the texture.

Thanks Karl - I will look into the document>creative imaging>align 3d-texture function in more detail.

I wonder if I can get your details - being able to script objects is a useful skill and knowing someone who can would be excellent - I'm sure I would like to commission a few objects in the future if this would be of interest?

Thanks again,

Marcus 

UKI v.25 & 26 Solo - Windows 10