Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Door Textures Rotated 90 degrees

MLWheeler
Booster

Can we have a conversation about this? Seems like it's been an issue for over 10 years with no obvious answers to fix.

I am using AC25 library doors (In AC25 Solo), one pocket, one hinged -- both doors have the texture rotated 90 degrees. 

texture example.png

Also same behaviour for architrave - texture runs perpendicular to material direction.

My room has vertical timber acoustic panelling for which I have set up custom surface, material and composites for walls; however, when I apply the surface to my doors, it displays perpendicular to the walls. 

As others have said before, yes, I could setup a duplicate surface and rotate it 90 degrees, but is this really the best solution to this issue? What am I missing?

Thanks

Marcus

UKI v.25 & 26 Solo - Windows 10
11 REPLIES 11

Hi @MLWheeler ,

Did you try to change the rotation angle for the surface you created?

See these screenshots.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 192351.pngScreenshot 2023-09-29 192422.png

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Hi Mahmoud

I have done this as a work around - i.e. created a duplicate surface and rotated 90 degrees.

It seems like a poor solution to have to do this for something that should 'just work' - surely I should be able to attribute the same surface to a wall and a door and not have one appear perpendicular to the other. There appears to be broken logic in the geometry of some objects. 

There doesn't even appear to be a way to manually realign the texture to these objects or faces.

The crux of the issue is evidenced by the very fact that, as far as I can see, we have to create a separate 'horizontal' surface in order to have it appear vertically on doors. 

DGSketcher
Legend

I do have some sympathy with GS that our expectations may on occasion exceed their ability to map the surfaces, particularly on panelled glazed doors, but I do find myself irritated by the failure to track the architrave direction changes and also by their application of a 90 degree rotation to a flat panel door where the grain is nearly always seen running vertically.

I think the problem is seen in other elements like windows and it would be good if GS took a moment to consider the texture orientation and correct it where it is obviously incorrect.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I've found something i don't know if it's a bug or a matter i can't understand,

As you see in attached screenshots that any wood material like walnut one, if Horizontal the rotation angle is (0) & if Vertical rotation angle becomes (90).

Screenshot 2023-09-29 224033.pngScreenshot 2023-09-29 225750.pngScreenshot 2023-09-29 224043.pngScreenshot 2023-09-29 225809.png

And in wood Mahogany if Horizontal and set to (0) & Vertical is set to (90) the result is reflexed when applied to a door,

Screenshot 2023-09-29 222159.pngScreenshot 2023-09-29 222019.pngScreenshot 2023-09-29 222212.pngScreenshot 2023-09-29 222106.png

That could be solved when i set the rotation angle to (90) for Horizontal Mahogany wood & (0) to Vertical Mahogany one.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 222229.pngScreenshot 2023-09-29 222507.pngScreenshot 2023-09-29 222240.pngScreenshot 2023-09-29 222532.png

There may be a problem or i may have conflict between Inside & Outside.

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

The problem is compounded by having two identical texture images with different names (H&V). There should be a single texture image and the orientation set within the Surface configuration and identified by the name presented to the user. Having said that, there should be consistency in the element texture orientation used in the Elements e.g. the default texture alignment should have zero rotation so that when you apply a surface it follows the natural expected default orientation of the object. e.g. along a beam, vertical on a door panel, horizontal on an roof panel etc.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

This is exactly the problem I am referring to: if you apply those same textures to a wall, they should appear as described.

With regards to the rotation setting in the surface settings box, the starting point is to have the orientation of the texture file set up correctly in the first instance; therefore, if the source image file opens with on screen as 'vertical' in an image preview application, then the surface should be named a vertical and rotation set to zero degrees; it will then appear correctly on walls, but not on doors.

Because of this problem, the general solution is to duplicate all directional textures and name them as 'vertical' and 'horizontal' so we can get the desired aesthetic once it is apparent which way the surface is running.  

I agree that it may not be easy to address geometry of every object, perhaps even impossible. I consider a slab where I might want flooring boards to run in a certain direction, for example.

I would like to see solution which would allow us to set the orientation of a surface next to the surface selection and override settings. And rather than having to set for every object every time, I believe this would at least allow the management of surface appearance though the creation of 'favourites'.

DGSketcher
Legend

I see there are two conflicting systems here. There is the natural alignment (think woodgrain) I mentioned above and the basic surface texture alignment e.g. if you apply a vertical pattern it appears vertical on all surfaces so it isn't rotated on doors etc. I think to resolve this you would need a switch either in the 3D element attribute settings or within the Surface texture to determine the application method.