cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Gi creates light "spots"

Tendenz
Participant
Hi

I have a problem that GI creates spots of light in my renderings. When I turn GI off, I don't think the rendering looks as good.

Is there any setting to minimize the spots, without turning off GI?

Hildes-Salong---Vaskesone.jpg
iMac OS X 11.6

2,3 GHz Intel Core i9, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

ArchiCAD 25
5 REPLIES 5
mikas
Expert
Me too. I've been trying to find out what's it about with the spots. The same that you are wondering here. I do not know where they come from.
Today I've been doing tests with my 6-core xeon - the best muscle I've got at home. I have not come to any resolution with these settings yet.
You might want to try all the different settings with GI. I love the GI, but there are so much variations with it.

Maybe we could change the GI setting to Quasi Monte Carlo. Or maybe Irradiance Cache (legacy).

I'll keep on torturing my single 6C-3,33GHz xeon. Fortunately I've got two of them at my service right now. But it's all so slow though.

I've been doing this one render for 5 and a half hour now, and it's gonna be without spots, I can tell that allready. (edit. 11 hours now)Quasi Monte Carlo. On the other hand, I've got a render without those perky spots, done in a time that is merely a 7 minutes+, with the default low settings. It does have it's little quirks, but it's quite allright considering the time it took to render.

I will update my findings, when I do have more results, and maybe something to conclude on this matter. It might take another year though.

Please find attached my personal _spotty rendered_ image.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
mikas
Expert
Please find the 7 minute render attached.
The earlier image in the above post is with irradiance cache, and with settings upped. Weird thing.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Pato99
Enthusiast
How odd.. I would try finding the sample rate in Global Illumination and bump that up.

It means there is more points of light being sampled throughout the image, then it will average out the light between each sample point.

You will notice many more samples are taken from around high detail areas during rendering.

I get most of these light spots on blank walls where less sampling is done. More sampling means more time.
Versions 10 to forced subscription
Metabox Prime-X P775DM2-G (Clevo),
GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM - G-Sync,
i7-6700K (8M Cache up to 4.2 GHz),
32GB DDR4 2133MHZ,
512GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD,
Win 11 64
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Spots are indeed Global Illumination being low.

If you go in to detailed settings, there you can pick from a few presets. I'd start with Interior Preview (it will probably be on outdoor preset), do a test render with a marquee on the place with obvious spots and see if that improves, if not go to Interior High. If that still gives spots, well, I guess Object Visualisation is the absolute highest setting, but render times will be very long probably.

Alternatively, there are lots of advanced settings you can manually set, but I am quite happy with the presets that are there.

I generally have good enough results with the preview settings and a bit of post production in photoshop. That said, I don't do interior rendering often.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked for me..