Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

How do I change the reflection of a picture-object?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have used the picture-object that is a part of the standard lib.
I added one png-file as an argument.
Then I render the interior with Lightworks. The picture-object reflects the light so much that I can't see the picture. I have learned to set the diffuse-factor low in the other materials that are used, so I get the color I want in the rendering. But that is impossible to do with the picture.
I opened the picture-object, took a copy, and changed the defininition of the picture material from DEFINE MATERIAL picmat 2, 1,1,1 to DEFINE MATERIAL picmat 2 0,0,0, saved it and tested it, but no effect. I do not understand I could see any effect when I actually defined black instead of white. Those three last arguments are the RGB-code, and 2 is for Matte-reflection.

Do someone have an idea upon how to solve this problem?

Just to mention. I use AC 12.

Snapshot9Utdrag.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Anne:

I don't think the problem resides within the object. As you noted, the DEFINE MATERIAL looks fine, and I don't think redefining the R/G/B values for a picture file matters. The first argument "2" defines the material as matte, and if you change this value to one of the others, you will see a difference in the rendering result, but not one that will help. I think you need to look at the light sources in your rendering setup (Lamps, Sun, Camera light, etc) and see which one(s) are throwing so much light on the picture. Another option is to define a Material in ArchiCAD that uses the picture you want as a texture, use a small wall inside the picture frame to place this image, then you will have the material attributes in the Material Settings dialog box to try to control the light on the picture.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anne,
What about the rest of the rendering? ... when you solve the lighting for your other materials in this camera view, your problem may solve itself.
I'm making the assumption that your design for soffits and walls aren't as dark as they look. Dwight's Light Works Book is a huge time saver... don't spend the time Dwight did figuring it all out.

let us know your solution ... I would love to know how to tweak objects to preform in Light Works.

Mike
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi again
I tried to remove some of the light-objects that threw light on the picture, but it didn't help. I also tried to make a material and add the picture as a texture in the right dimensions. Then I put in on a wall in the same dimensions, but the picture were repeated on the wall in a way that gave me 4 different parts of the picture.
I have changed the diffuse-factor on most of the materials in the room, and that is the most effective way in solving my rendering problems.
The next thing I want to try is to make a slab, and add the material (will probably give me the same problems as with adding the material to the wall, but I'll give it a try.) Then I can drag it into the GDL, and rotate around the X-axis and save it as an object.
If I find a solution, I'll let you know.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Anne wrote:
Then I put in on a wall in the same dimensions, but the picture were repeated on the wall in a way that gave me 4 different parts of the picture.
Anne:

To correct this problem, use the Align 3D Texture > Set Origin... command. You will have the same issue whether you use a Wall or Slab, as ArchiCAD is using the Project Origin for the start point of the texture (then tiling from there), so you need to specify its origin.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK. Thank you very much. I didn't know this. I'll give it a try.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It became perfect !
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ops! When I rendered it with Lightworks, the motif was turned upside-down compared with the Internal Engine. I wonder why? But, no big problem. I just turn it the way that looks right in the Lightworks engine.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Anne wrote:
Ops! When I rendered it with Lightworks, the motif was turned upside-down compared with the Internal Engine. I wonder why?
In earlier versions of ArchiCAD (which I guess includes 12), there was a bug where LightWorks rotated the texture of the Internal Engine. If you want to search the forum, I ma pretty sure that Dwight made more than one posting about this.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture