Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.

LCA plugin Finally here :) DesignLCA

Thomas Nymann
Enthusiast

Hi

Graphisoft Center Danmark just released a public beta version of DesignLCA, a plugin to AC 26 that facilitates Eco designer star, in order to calculate a projects CO2 footprint throughout a given period of time (CO2eq/m2/anno)

DesignLCA calculates the "Global Warming Potential" as an "Early stage LCA"

With this method designers can (fairly) easy get a reading of your projects CO2 footprint where both construction and operation is taken into consideration.

There´s a Danish version, prepared to meet the danish regulations that will be implemented in 2023.

There´s an international version where vaules and settings needs to be adjusted to meet your local regulations, demands and EPD´s .

DesignLCA calculates the "Global Warming Potential" as an "Early stage LCA"

Feel free to download  the international version from this website: https://www.designlca.com/

The Danish version is part of our Localization, and can be downloaded from our website:

https://Graphisoft-danmark.dk/download

Please leave a comment if this could be usefull for studio.

ThomasNymann_0-1668162902503.png

ThomasNymann_1-1668162968587.png

Uden titel.png

ASUS ROG I9 12900H 🙂 - RTX 3080ti (16GB) - 32 GB RAM - Ryzen 7 1700X 3,8GHz. - GTX 1080ti 11 GB- 16GB RAM
AC 13 +
55 REPLIES 55

Yazan_0-1669889400005.png

Thomas Nymann
Enthusiast

Hi Yazan.

I believe this could relate to calculation units.  In these settings "Length Unit" should be meters 😉

ThomasNymann_0-1669890371895.png

ASUS ROG I9 12900H 🙂 - RTX 3080ti (16GB) - 32 GB RAM - Ryzen 7 1700X 3,8GHz. - GTX 1080ti 11 GB- 16GB RAM
AC 13 +

Hi Yazan

It's a good question. Windows and doors are calculated by an Expression in the Property Sets. This is why you need to add the Property Set downloaded with the DesignLCA plugins. – So you can see the calculation by digging there 😉

Generally, the value is created, by assuming the frame is 50 x 100 mm all around the wall hole, and the rest of the opening area is calculated as 2 or 3 layers of glass (user set) or one of 7 door types. 

I hope that answers your question 😄

Great! thanks for the explanation 😊

Yes! the results are much better now 😊 thanks

I just talked to the developers about imperial units. Right now we only support metric values, but it should be fairly easy to “translate” the plugin into an imperial version. 

We don’t have any knowledge about what units are used in imperial EPD’s  or what units the result of the LCA calculation should be presented in. – So we need more Infor (and a demand from users) to translate the plugin 🙂

ananas
Advocate

Hi!

I am wondering how can we use the materials from ÖKOBAUDAT? Here it says that DesignLCA contains a number of materials and composite building parts with preset data from ÖKOBAUDAT. but I don´t see them in "Building materials LCA Sttings". I only see the materials, I have set in Archicad.

Do I somehow need to import the Ökobaut library?

Thank you for your help 🙂

1.jpg2.jpg

Hi

I have noticed I also don´t see the "Einvornmental impact" as you have it in your manual PDF:

Einvoronmental impact.jpg

Environmental impact.jpg

Does Design LCA maybe work only with Archica 26 INT version?

I use the German version of Archicad 26 (4022 update), but I could install Design LCA succesfully.

Thank you!

Thomas Graabaek
Booster

Hi Tjasa. 

I'm not familiar with the German localization of Archicad, but DesignLCA should work with Archicad 26 Build 4022 in any case. 

As mentioned in the manual, the Environmental properties in Building Material are not used for the calculation in DesignLCA. DesignLCA uses the EPD data manually entered in the DesignLCA Material browser. 

Hi Tjasa

I'm sorry to tell you, that's a mistake on the website. The Building Materials with EPD data and Composites are only part of the Danish localilzed template and not the international version of DesignLCA. 

I have just corrected the text on www.DesignLCA.com.

That means, that you have to manually enter data from EPD's in the DesignLCA Material browser to make the calculations work 😞

// Thomas