Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Rendering or Walk-through.What is better?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rendering or Walk-through. To represent building spaces what is better? in your opinion...
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my opinion a walk through is better because you get to understand the building more. The only thing is if the building is large it could take a while to do the walk through so several renders would be better in that situation. It depends on how much time u've got!
Djordje
Ace
A series of still views merging into each other.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Andy Thomson
Advisor
We have had some amazing success with flythroughs made in Studio lately. They are great to wow the client, and then we can guide them through the model in OpenGL 'shooter-style' to discuss the design. Doing the lattter without the former would freak them out I think.

The flythroughs take a painfully long time to render however. 48 hours or more is not uncommon for us.

Of course all of this depends on client, budget, time constraints and project phase - we show mere scribbles at first.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karlsson wrote:
Rendering or Walk-through. To represent building spaces what is better? in your opinion...
the real question is: is it possible to understand an Architecture without movement ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it is possible to understand architecture without movement if you show the most relevant and important features of a building. The areas which sum up your design intentions.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Neither

Movie, which is a sequence of small video clips, stitched together with music.
This way, you have movement, less rendering time and no shoot 'em up feeling.
TomWaltz
Participant
I think it's totally possible to understand architecture without movement. I think too many people rely on the complete walk-through, including the more boring spaces. It's one thing to make an entrance into a key space, it's another to walk down 50 feet of corridor first.

A good animation can tell the story of the building and convey the experience of being in it with very little movement in just the key areas.

My tendency is to make small vignettes of the building, maybe 5 to 10 seconds in each space, with relatively slow movement of both the camera location and direction, just to show a little "sweep" of the space.

With a video editor (I use Final Cut Pro), you can splice these together with titles and graphics.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Neither

Movie, which is a sequence of small video clips, stitched together with music.
This way, you have movement, less rendering time and no shoot 'em up feeling.
Not applicable
The interactive walk-through is not an alternative to photo-realistic rendering, but an extra instrument at Architect's disposal.
VRML models can be used for collaboration, model checking, work process integration, electronic design review, sales, and marketing with architects, owners, engineers, detailers, fabricators, erectors, contractors, designers.

Giovanni Dragone
www.vitruvian-studio.com