Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Take a look

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I created this little scene and rendered it lastnight, I can't believe that a Lightworks novice like me can create such real life images so quickly.

Graphisoft has done an incredible job with 9.0 and lightworks.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

test1.jpg
117 REPLIES 117
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I take a look at your results that rendered in 2 minutes, because I'm still getting a very long rendering time.

Also as long as the window light is inside the glass of the window it's fine right???

What texture was missing???

Dwight - I think our friend was right, I am pretty talented when it comes to modeling in archicad, but I think I was pretty lucky to generate a rendering like I did in Lightworks.

Now I'm gonna expect every rendering I do to be as tight as this one.... Bad start!!!
Dwight
Newcomer
it was missing a "fill" called in the window objects.

I didn't get anything worth posting because I have messed with the materials and made a mess of it. Sort of like twelve string guitar virtuoso Leo Kottke when he says "I'm going to take this lovely melody and drive it right into the ground." Except that in his case, he pulls it off. Unlike me.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
OKay, here's the same scene with the window lights turned off.

It's all sunlight and sky, it's strange the amount of light that comes through the small window oppose to the big ones.

Still a nice rendering, not as "lively" as you put it Dwight.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh yeah, and it rendered in like 10 seconds... So it was the window lights that added all that time to the rendering.
Dwight
Newcomer
Windolites are bad.
Hollywood is making a movie about it: "Invasion of the Time Suckers"

You get what you pay for - in time, for softness.

that light is a factor of the specular reflectivity of the floor. Start moving forward and to the left - you'll see the glare move, too.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
No more window lights, no sky, just sun.
Dwight
Newcomer
thro a yellow windolite at 2+2 straight upward into the ceiling from head height and then see.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
muddasick wrote:
No more window lights, no sky, just sun.
Lest other readers (who haven't downloaded your PLN) be mislead: you actually have your camera light on at 100% (which is why your walls are illuminated) and you have ambient at 100%.

No need to ditch the window lights ... they do provide softness, as Dwight points out ... just dial down the resolution. You have to look in the OpenGL window as you adjust intensity and the resolution factor ... you'll see the actual light sources as wireframe balls. I got 2 minutes with four window lights (each with 6 or so light sources) ... your three and one bouncing up at the ceiling.

You're seeing the tradeoff between softness/realism and "good enough". Find what works for the result you need/want. 😉

As Dwight suggests (and illustrates beautifully in several other threads), a window light shooting up at the ceiling can help with ambiance ... but if you look at the surface of your sofa, it needs some light too ... so by the time you place enough 'bounce' lights around to compensate for no window lights, you may as well put the window lights back in too.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
and then there's the benefit of general lightsources that are easy on the processor and can add light that seems to have a little "volume" or shape.... in comparison to ambient or camera light [never use camera light -ick!]
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, I took your advice I added a window light up to the ceiling and also a window light down over the furniture.

The result is pretty good.

I thought a camera (object) had to be set up in order for the camera light to actually be used, am I wrong??? (I don't have any camera's, or is the 3D window view a default camera?)

Karl can I see the results you get with the file... thanks