Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

problems: Rendering cropped area + High accuracy colors

AEismann
Participant
Hi all,

So we are experiencing two main problems (rendering with Cinerender) :

1. rendering a cropped area - while doing it, let's say to change only a part of the whole image, the perspective is never the same, it means we cannot render just a part of the image and overlay it again to a previously full window rendered image. Does anyone know why is that ? if you want to change some detail in the render you have to render the whole image again. very useful and unprofessional. (think about vray/mental ray etc not mentioning 'render elements'.)

2. While rendering an image and trying to save a .tiff file which supports 32-bit color range (in order to adjust the exposure) after choosing in file>save as>options>high accuracy color with alpha channel we get the message "Cannot write output file. File not found" this happens only if i try to save a 32 bit channel tiff.

Any help someone ?
AC23 NED 7000 | AC24 NED 5000

Win10 | i9-9900k | 32GB | RTX 2080 Ti
14 REPLIES 14
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I think it has to do with the proportions (w x h) of the 3d window somehow.

Found out about this the same way as you did, rendering on multiple workstations, with different work environments set up.

There are many quirks with perspective behaviour, especially if you also use Two-Point Perspective, where it takes some turning it on / switching off etc until you've matched your view again.

We render out several different renders (colour, ambient occlusion, sketch contours, sketch vectorial hatches, sometimes depth map), so you learn to deal with them eventually and don't really think about it anymore.

It is certainly possible to easily render out the same perspective many times.

I've tested a marquee render and a full render and I can overlay them pixel perfect, but I am seeing some issues from global illumination artifacts not being the same between the two.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
AEismann
Participant
I tested it further and when you change the resolution of an independant windows then usually it will not shrink the perspective but rather keep it the same size and snap to the left top position, really strange.

when i click back on the view then it will re-adjust to the new size.

is there a way to have me shrinking the windows size act the same as when i click on the view name and then it adjusts the perspective and not top-left ? hope that im being understood.

AEismann
Participant
Can someone rectify how I should use / the connection between :

(3d) Window size - right click on tab
View settings with emphasis on the lower tab with Size setting (what does that refer to ?)
size in render setting in relation to these two above

then 2 point perspective really changes the way how a 3d window scales, weird.

and I can't get a view to really save a fixed size on the 3d window, is it possible ?

nejcek74
Contributor
I just come to this problem while trying to render on second (and third and fourth) computer.

Is it true that:

the perspective of rendered picture or maybe a "crop" of rendered picture is actually not defined just by camera settings, but also the size of 3D view window, so it will vary between computers (since different working enviroments / monitors etc)?

btw. also "safe frame" works somehow strange
Archicad 22 on OS X 10.11.6
Lingwisyer
Guru
From what I can tell, the view rendered depends on the relation between your 3D window size and render aspect ratio.

With Safe Frame off, it will FILL your 3D window size, resulting in seeing everything in your 3D window plus extra to make up to the desired aspect ratio. With it off, it will FIT to your 3D window size, cropping your 3D window size to your desired aspect ratio. If your 3D window size aspect ratio matches that of your render aspect ratio, there should be no difference when toggling the Safe Frame.

This would imply that if you make a render from a 3D window in which you have defined it's size, you should get the same render given the same settings independent of computer. If you render from the docked 3D window, it will vary depending on your workspace layout and monitor aspect ratio. I have not tested this.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660