Our Community
Ask questions about this community, the platform, and any technical questions.

3rd Party Labels

Lingwisyer
Guru

Hi Admins / Mods,

Are you guys able to add labels to posts? If so, is there a function to allow users to suggests labels for posts by others?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
11 REPLIES 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Currently, I see two Labels for your post: "forum feedback" and "labels". Did you add these to your post? Were these Labels already available? So, you would like to create your own Labels? 

I am not sure what the exact status of label creation by users is at the moment. The creation of new Labels may be suspended at the moment because it was starting to become unmanageable.

For example, one user creates the Label "Quote", the other creates "Quoting", the third one creates "Quote function", and so on. You can see how this can become a big mess very soon. So, I think some solution is coming soon.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

I mean when you see someone elses post and you think there is a suitable label for it, you can add it?

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

It is a good functionality suggestion, I will forward it to the proper people.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Personally I'm not convinced that ad lib labeling do more good that harm to the forum experience. Given a good forum organisation and search function it should be enough with labels from a predefined list.

Looking at the label box now its really cluttered with rather random labels with rather random formating in terms of capitalisation and number of words.

thesleepofreason_0-1631879121178.png

Lingwisyer
Guru

Forum organisation here is pretty lacking given the consolidation of many of the old sub-forums... which also limits the effectiveness of the search function.

Whether the labels are predefined or not is independent of this now wish.

From the looks of it though, I suspect that there is no way to actually do this. The closest would be for one of the community managers to find a post for each of the more major topics and add the relevant labels to them in order to pre-populate the list.

Ling.

DGSketcher
Legend

I do miss the old forum... I'm not sure what the labels really offer, clearly they aren't working given the diversity of posts. They could I guess work as subgroups but then someone needs to manage the label associations (may take a while!). In the good old days If we wanted to find posts on a subject we just used the search tool... seems to work for Google & others.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Lingwisyer
Guru

Labels / tags are nice as they allow you to quickly get an idea of what a post is about and find related posts. This will take time and requires people to remember to add them to their posts... this wish is a workaround for that. They should not be used as a replacement for proper forum division which appears to be what has happened here...

Qualifa
Booster

The forum looks much more modern (a beginner's view), the only thing that makes it difficult to work in it is the randomness of labels. Since they make up and save the subforum component, you need to come up with names for them and redefine them again for uniformity, so that this navigation is more understandable and convenient. 🙄
Thus, going to the main section, we will observe topics, and to the right of them the main tags with titles and grouping for various subforum topics. That makes sense? 🤔

Example:

изображение_2021-09-21_221940.png

Proud member of UNION.ARCHI Network
snow
Mentor

I think to have a bunch of predefined labels according to tools, areas and functions in Archicad...

(perhaps in a separate section…) would be helpful…
…for users and also for Graphisoft developers

I wrote a (long) post in the german Archicad forum lately of redesigning the whole forum.
Having labels was one topic there.

ARCHICAD for Future

archicad versions 8-27 | mac os 13 | win 10