General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

ArchiCAD Universities

ArchiCAD University West is on! 25-26-27 March 2004 [/size]

For the moment ACUWest has its own website and this is at http://www.acuwest.com . http://www.archicad-university.com still exists for the Europe based Winter and Summer Schools

The ACUWest 2004 event of 25-26-27 March 2004 is on that site with an outline programme of events, a location map, and a picture of the venue and some personalities. Provisional bookings or indications of interest should be emailed to Duane Valencia < visual.frontiers@verizon.net >.

Please read the

The next event displayed on the website is now the ACUE WINTER SCHOOL, scheduled for Jan 17-24 2004, we are taking bookings now. Please email david at davidnc@archicad-university.com
We also have an ACUE planned for Nottingham again in 8-9 September 2004 (2 day event).

Link wrote:
Hey Duane

Please let us all know when you have a website up and running - eager to see what the university will entail, who will be particpating and the costs involved.

I will definitely endeavour to make it there and I hope many other users, especially in the US see the value in it. And those Aussies and Kiwis should also consider it. It's just a short 13 hour flight straight into LA!
11 REPLIES 11
ACUE Winter School 2004 : 17-24 January 2004[/size]

Learn more about ArchiCAD! Ski/snowboard with ArchiCAD users.
The ACUE Winter School 2003 on the Feuerkogel mountain was so successful that we must repeat it!

The pattern for Winter School is that we are out and about during daylight hours, making use of all the skilifts and cablecar; return about 4.30 for beer, shower, sleep and chat. During the evening, from dinner till midnight, we enjoy presentations and practical workshops about ArchiCAD and its practice and related software. (Later we relax in the Kellerbar).
Plenaries are in English, but workshops are mostly in English, with a few in German. The delegates are a mixture of ArchiCAD users from Britain, Ireland, France, Belgium, Germany and Austria - and a few from even further afield in 2003, eg Norway, Sweden and the USA!

Ski tuition is available during the week for beginners, 2-3 days is all you need to use the slopes with some confidence. The Winter School runs from Saturday to Saturday, there is good rail access to Salzburg and Ebensee, and for air travellers, we recommend RyanAir Stansted-Salzburg.

ACUEWinter School is organised by ArchiCAD University Secretariat and the 'ArchiCAD User Association Austria'. If you are interested, please email for further information to me at the ArchiCAD University Secretariat, or look at the website http://www.archicad-university.com .

"You only live once - so just DO IT!"

Bring the Family!
Read about the 2003 Winter School on the Website. This has extensive details on how to get to Ebensee (most people get to Salzburg airport or station to be picked up by our bus), and about the skiing facilities.
Read about the 2003 Winter School on the Website.
The Report on last years event is a good guide to how the 2004 event will go.

In this picture you can see Ildiko Szabo of Abvent no fewer than FOUR times!

----------------------------------------------------------------
David Nicholson-Cole : ArchiCAD University Europe 2004
*17-24 January 2004 Feuerkogel near Salzburg, Austria*
ArchiCAD Users Winter School
with the Austrian ArchiCAD Users Association AUAA
Information page is on http://www.archicad-university.com
fax +44-115-945-5121 or email davidnc@archicad-university.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Further Detail: Why havent you heard of Feuerkogel before? Well, it's not a mainline international resort like Klosters or Davos, it's used as a day resort by Austrians - they come up for the day and go down again. There's one hotel up there, and it's ours! We rule the mountain during the evening hours. This means that if we feel like doing some night skiing instead of work, we only have to ask, and they turn on the floodlights and lift.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I went to the ArchiCAD University website to look for info on the ACU West. I couldn't find anything. 😞 Where are you planning to have it? I assume "West" means west part of the US, but it could be anywhere west of the Urals.

Please help. I'd like to be forced to combine skiing with ArchiCAD learning, but not at the expense of flying to Austria, at least not this year.
Karl Ottenstein
Peter wrote:
I went to the ArchiCAD University website to look for info on the ACU West. I couldn't find anything. Where are you planning to have it? I assume "West" means west part of the US, but it could be anywhere west of the Urals.
It's a bit of a video game to catch the link at the moment.

At the top right of the ArchCAD University Europe page David has some scrolling text links ... as of today, the ACU West link is the 5th link down.

More information is coming 'soon' about this event on the Cal Poly Pomona campus (outside Los Angeles - closest airport Ontario). Duane Valencia is the organizer; the others of us in the photo are organizing committee (which has grown a bit larger than shown).

I believe that Duane will have full details (program and speakers) and rates available for publication fairly soon ... please stay tuned. Should be a fantastic event (not that the Winter School in Austria won't be either, for those able to get there in January!).

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
ACUWest has its own webpage now http://www.acuwest.com , which is good, and the previous entry on the main ACUE Website is a forwarding page. The reason ACUWest is not top of the ACUE page is that the very next event is Winter School in Salzburg, Austria (english speaking by the way) and we are taking bookings now! ACUWest is not until March 25. ACUWest's new site has a detailed programme and on line booking method.
Peter wrote:
I went to the ArchiCAD University website to look for info on the ACU West. I couldn't find anything. Where are you planning to have it? I assume "West" means west part of the US, but it could be anywhere west of the Urals.

Please help. I'd like to be forced to combine skiing with ArchiCAD learning, but not at the expense of flying to Austria, at least not this year.
ArchiCAD Users Winter School 17-24 January 2004 [/size]

I have added more information to the Winter School Website, mainly a more detailed program for each evening. Here is an excerpt from the site.

Full information is on: http://www.archicad-university.com

Likely Programme of events for the week:[/size]

This will be similar to last year. Precise details of workshops are decided by tutors and delegates depending on who is in the party, Outline themes for each evening are as below.
The pattern is: a Plenary for one hour for all 8-9pm, in english. Then after a beer break we cruise till 11pm or later in Workshops of our choosing, up to 5 at the same time in different parts of the Edelweiss hotel, on topics offered by tutors and chosen by delegates - to do with the theme of the evening. Look at the Report of last year for ideas and pictures. Everyone is encouraged to bring a laptop and dongle, so they can fully enjoy jamming with ArchiCAD friends polishing up their skills. This is a VERY relaxed and good way to learn. The event is held in the large Dining room/Bar of the hotel, so lager or soft drinks are on tap continously during the evening, and cheaper than in England!

Saturday: Evening: - Arrive by air, car or train.Cable car is half hourly during the day, last normal Cablecar is 6pm, and there will be a latenight Cablecar, approx 10pm-1030 for late comers from RyanAir and other routes (none in between). If not on RyanAir, book a place with the organiser.

Sunday:Skiing. hire ski equipment, first day out and about on slopes, with ski school for beginners, starting mid-morning.
   Evening: Night skiing under floodlights 8-9pm. Night skiing is dependent on conditions,
      The party may decide to do it on another evening if Sunday is not right, eg visibility. It's our choice!
    followed by: 9.15pm: ArchiCAD 8.1 Catch up session, incl recap of AC 8 features - general question time with experts.

Monday: Skiing etc all day, including 2nd day of ski school.
   Evening: Rendering and visualisation evening. Animation, VR. Piranesi/Artlantis, Add-ons.

Tuesday: Skiing etc all day. Optional 3rd day for keen beginners, or just join other informal groups on the slopes.
Tuesday and Wednesday evenings - we propose to run two channels simultaneously (in different spaces) on two of the primary topics, Object making and Better use of ArchiCAD.

Evening: Object making night: Object making without GDL (for beginners), Introduction to GDL (for intermediate), Advanced GDL (for the more brave and experienced), Add-ons which make GDL objects (for the curious).
   Evening: Construction Documentation: The serious stuff! Plotmaker, Publish and Calculate, Schedules, Office standards, procedures.

Wednesday: Skiing or snowboarding etc all day. Ski in friendly groups. learn from some of the better skiers.
   Evening: Same as for Tuesday, continuing the workshops of the previous night over a 2 day programme.

Thursday: Skiing or snowboarding etc all day. Ski in friendly groups. learn from some of the better skiers.
   Evening: Interesting Stuff: Last year we did a plenary on Navisworks, ArchiPhysik, ArchiFacade, followed by Workshops on Macromedia Flash, Photoshop, and Cigraph tools. We might look at Ecotect or Zoom. If conditions are night, we might enable more floodlit skiing. Depends on weather and delegates.

Friday: Skiing etc all day. Ski in friendly groups. Return the skis to the hire shop in the evening.
   Evening: Delegates Night. Last year we had some very interesting short special presentations from tutors and delegates, and the evening went on till midnight. We shall follow this pattern.

Saturday: Going home day. Cablecar down to Ebensee and bus to Salzburg for some touring. Mozart has 2 houses in Salzburg, there is a castle, a cathedral and lovely town centre. RyanAir's flight departs in the early evening.

Travel Note: Because of RyanAir's winter timetable, air travellers will be arriving in the evening and we are booking a special late cablecar. And the later return flight gives us a day out in Salzburg.

----------------------------------------------------------------
David Nicholson-Cole : ArchiCAD University Europe 2004
*17-24 January 2004 Feuerkogel near Salzburg, Austria*
ArchiCAD Users Winter School
with the Austrian ArchiCAD Users Association AUAA
Skiing/snowboarding during the day, ArchiCAD evening classes
Information page is on http://www.archicad-university.com
fax +44-115-945-5121 or email davidnc@archicad-university.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Important Winter School information!!![/size]

For those going by air:
The flight outwards is:
Sat 17th Jan 2004, Ryanair flight FR 306 from London Stansted to Salzburg, time 17.10.
(we have a late cablecar booked at vast expense - paying more than a lift pass and full board in the hotel for a whole week! for this privilege. Would air flying delegates be willing to cough up say €20 or €15 each to help in this? (the cost was landed on us after prices were published.)
The alternative is to get the 6.40 am from Stansted, but this is absurdly early!! and from emails I have had from those who have booked, I am sure people prefer to get the late cablecar.)

Book on line at http://www.ryanair.com.
This flight is on promotion, prices vary hour by hour but you dont want to risk leaving it too late and not getting a seat. Currently its £ 29.99 out and £ 39.99 back.
I have just bought my ticket and it was £ 29.99 outbound (+ tax) single and if you buy a SINGLE ticket for the return, its € 39.99 euros not pounds (+tax) so you make a gain on the exchange rate. The bargain flight of £ 9.99 only applies to the 6.40 am flight.

Flight home is: Sat 24th Jan 2004, Ryanair flight FR307 from Salzburg to London Stansted, departing 20.25.
the bus will drop us off in Salzburg in the morning for a day in the city, and we will have to get Taxis or airport shuttle to the airport in the evening, its only 3 miles away, you could almost walk it!

PS, if you read this some weeks after first posting, make sure to email the organiser just in case anything has been changed.... although if it has, changes will be edited on here and the website!
Useful tips for Winter School people[/size]

You ONLY need to book the flight, and bring the right clothes, almost everything else, Bus, Hotel, Cablecar and Ski/Cablecar pass is done by ACUE. We advise bring a laptop and dongle for maximum enjoyment.

Bring enough euros to pay the ski hire (70 euros) and lunches (about 8 euros a day) and beer/coffee (as much as you drink, perhaps 10-12 euros a day) . Thats about 200 euros pocket money as a minimum, rounding it up. Bring more if you are having a day out somewhere, or for emergencies (eg a late night in the Kellerbar with some Schnapps!) Ski school was about 40 euros a day.
Note for US cousins, the Euro is about the same as, slightly higher perhaps, than the dollar.

A contribution by the Ryanair group to the late night cable car is appreciated as this is an unexpected high expense thrust on us after we had published and committed to the ACUEWS pricing. The alternative would be getting to Stansted by 4.40 am and this would be horrible.

There are no bank machine holes in the wall on the mountain top (not many walls either), and no credit cards taken, so bring cash. You have a free cablecar pass and can get to the bank in the town below if you run out, but then you lose valuable skiing time, and its a longish walk from cablecar to town centre in the snow.

I took what I thought was enough pocket money last year, and finished up lending half of it to other people as things didnt cost nearly as much as I expected.

Bring comfortable BOOTs (furlined wellies are ideal) for use outside, skiboots are too uncomfortable for walking in, and make sure you bring soft slippers or sandals for comfort inside the hotel.

You need your own GOGGLES and a good HAT and GLOVES for skiing. Ski hire includes Skis (very good quality) comfortable boots and sticks.

You can buy cheaply, 'artificial skin' stuff from footcare departments of a good chemist (drugstore), you need plastic patches that prevent you getting blisters. Works Wonderfully.

I am taking deposits now, CC will do fine, fax numbers and email the expiry date and address, or email both on different days. Deposit is 100 euros, the rest to be deducted end of December. Or send a cheque if in the UK.
(if you are booking through Habra, Linz, ignore that, do it through Habra.)

Djordje
Ace
david wrote:
Yes ACUWest has a sliding title, and you can catch it if you are quick enough.
Who catches it three times gets a free attendance?

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
The scrolling ad for ACUE west doesn't appear with Safari.
That may explain why some people cant see the page. Its the <Marquee> command in HTML that seems to work on everything else - Well, explorer on all platforms, thats certain.
I can make it stand still instead, but its less noticeable.

ACUWest is having a new Website very very soon, so this may not matter too much longer. the existing website will become a forwarding page for the new one.
Hari wrote:
JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
david wrote:
That may explain why some people cant see the page. Its the <Marquee> command in HTML that seems to work on everything else - Well, explorer on all platforms, thats certain.
I can make it stand still instead, but its less noticeable.

ACUWest is having a new Website very very soon, so this may not matter too much longer. the existing website will become a forwarding page for the new one.
Hari wrote:
Seems ok in Safari now.

....just in - info from Digital Vision Automation (US Reseller):

"[Principal's Night]
Here is an opportunity to market ArchiCAD University West to prospect principals and managers who cannot take the time off to come to the University, but still want to learn more about the power of BIM and the virtual building...call it principals talking to principals! Please help us get the word out on this to your potential customers as well as existing customer firm principals and managers.

Visit
http://www.acuwest.com

to sign up.

BTW, we have signed up about 120 for the University to date and have roof for about 30 more and [many] more for Principals night (since we will not have to set up tables and can get in more chairs)."
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/
Jeffry Covarrubias
GS US Technical Support Team Leader
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"