General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Building Together digital event Q&A

Laura Urban
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Following the success of last year’s event, we’re going live again! The Building Together Digital event will happen October 25, 26, 27. Registration is open so make sure you save your seat: Building Together Digital Event 2022 – Graphisoft

We are excited to announce that now you have the opportunity to raise your questions before all the other participants connected to the Building for the future of Architecture presentation, held on October 26 15:10 GMT+2.

A glimpse of what to expect from the presentation:

Our very own Márton Kiss - Graphisoft Product Success Vice President, Tibor Szolnoki – Global Technical Marketing Senior Manager and Carlos Cordeiro - Product Marketing Manager will talk about the future of Graphisoft developments.  

„AEC design is becoming increasingly complex with more stakeholders, more data, a greater need and more opportunities for collaboration. Future design tools must be able to solve all these challenges and more. Architects want to spend more time on design and less on management. How can we help them?”

Let us know what you are interested in. Share your questions about Graphisoft’s direction of development in the comment section!

The five most upvoted questions will be answered so make sure you give a big thumbs up if you see a question you like.

We are waiting for your questions until October 21! Don’t miss your chance! 

Laura Urbán

Marketing Communication Trainee

18 REPLIES 18
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

When do we get a Ceiling tool?

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Jp1138
Expert

Are we getting Site Design Tools someday? Please, don´t refer us to Vectorworks.

ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10

Archicad has some very potent functionality which is tied to specific features and tools in a way that leaves a lot of the potential unrealised. 

• Model Compare has superior visibility functionality (criteria based, appearance control, and interactive element list) that would be extremely useful when modelling and generally exploring/viewing the model but it is tied to the marginal task of comparing models.
  • Across the different design tools are intuitive and effective modelling functionality but the fact that different functionalities are tied to different tools which ultimately presuppose specific building parts thus puts a constraint on the use.
  • The same with both the Curtainwall and Railing tool that have powerful functionality for dynamic spatial configuration which would be extremely useful when modelling if it was generalised and not tied to a presupposed building part.

What is your view on such unrealised potential? Is it the result of technical/budgetary limitations, the organisation of development (siloing) or ignorance of the positive potential for user workflow? Is there a strategy to realise the full potential of already implemented functionality?

Even though there has been a lot of talk about efficiency lately (“stay focused - design more / more time on design less on management”) we currently are not able to use some of the most basic yet potent methods for efficient and consistent workflow when defining/describing buildings. Namely, element types, multiple instance groups (with in-model editing), “arbitrary” references and dynamic spatial constraints/configurations.

With regards to these methods, what is your view on Archicad’s current ability to support an efficient workflow? Can we expect any of these features in the near future or is this simply not inline with your vision of working in Archicad?

As 3D capabilities has increased, workflows have become centered around the 3D model. This hasn’t diminished the importance of 2D views (needed both as drawing for information/presentation and as modelling aids) but there has certainly been a reversal where the challenge for CAD applications no longer is to get a 3D model from 2D views but to get useful 2D views of the 3D model. The natural approach moving forward is to let 2D be a consequence of 3D in the sense that all 2D views are nothing less than freely chosen projections of the 3D model with the enhanced functionality to control the display of elements in both directions of the “viewing plane”.

Archicad doesn’t seem to be developed with such an approach but instead forces the user to constantly be aware of how different tools and individual elements work and are set across both 2D and 3D. This costs a lot of time and focus that could have been used designing.

What is the strategy to abridge the bifurcation between 3D and 2D that is currently present in AC? What can be expected as a result and when can we expect to see it?

With the announcement of the Roadmap as part of the Archicad 26 launch, when will the Archicad user community have the chance to learn more about the roadmap? Primarily to provide feedback on what the users believe is needed by their businesses, but also a second step where we can provide detailed needs on how the nominated workflows/features should be developed to meet our needs.

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX

Will we ever see a list of bug fixes and when they are scheduled to be fixed?

Will we ever see a list of wishes / improvements / new features that users want and that they can vote on? (not the simple 'Like' system in this forum).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

not exactly something to be brought up during the talk, (& this was brought up by someone else in another public discussion) but just an FYI -- this post itself got buried beneath newer posts in the past week.

might i suggest a Pinned Post for this forum for anything such as this? that way, something this important doesn't get pushed down in the future?

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

If only we could see the numer of views! But there is no reason why this shouldn't have been communicated through Graphisoft Insights which would have put it on top on the root (hiding it in the post for the main event doesn't cut it).

But this is yet another example of failed communication from GS. The whole platform is a mess and I don't think any of the crucial feedback from community users have been taken into account and implemented. We still (+1 year) have to rely on a bookmark for unread posts and I think that is the extent to which any active user navigates the platform. Overviewing the list of unread post is a chore and it is close to impossible to get an overview of what you or anyone else has written in the past.

Is there anyone who has gotten an official reply to something other than rather superficial questions of support nature? Where is the discussion that they boast about fostering with this community? What's the user benefit of this new platform compared to the old?

@GRAPHISOFT  @Anonymous @Community Support @Gordana Radonic @Rubia Torres @Noemi Balogh @Emoke Csikos 

Nuge
Advocate

When will we see real user interaction from GS and a meaningful roadmap.

When will GS apologise for the AC26 launch and 40-year birthday debarkle?

What are the "new" technologies we keep being promised

When will GS release a new more friendly API for addon development

What is the future of the Python addon

When will GS return to making software for architects, not engineers or MEP

Will we see any real change at GS while Huw Roberts is in charge

AC27 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / D5 Render
gavinNZz
Advocate

Where does Archicad see itself in 5-10 years? The 3D design space is moving faster now than it ever has and the feeling is Archicad is falling behind at an increased pace. The inability to implement a proper development roadmap (not the 'management roadmap' that was  presented by Huw) is evidence enough that GS doesn't understand the value of its users and thinks it knows best. History tells us that this type of approach will lead Archicad down the road to nowhere.

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
gavinNZz
Advocate

How does GS see AI being utilized within Archicad? AI will enable the largest efficiency gains we have ever seen which could be applied to current day workflows. Is GS looking that these possibilities for future AC versions?

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
Laura Urban
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Thank you for all your questions! As we reached the deadline we can’t accept any more questions, but we are still waiting for the likes until Monday 12:00 pm CEST.

If you didn’t ask your question don’t worry, you will have the opportunity to do so during the live Q&A. Make sure you register:  Building Together Digital Event 2022 – Graphisoft

Laura Urbán

Marketing Communication Trainee

Some of the recordings from yesterday (first day of Building Together 2022) are available as on demand video, some are not. Will the missing ones also be available?

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

When will Archicad save to FBX for universal exportability for external applications in the RealTime Rendering, Augmented Reality, Metaverse, Gaming and Asset Warehouse markets? Why are antiquated export options (such as VRML, Electric Images, and others) still available and being updated for every version when the most needed ones (like FBX) aren't developed?

This is NOT an Epic or Twinmotion question. There are other 3rd party solutions requiring FBX.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
mikas
Expert

Are these open to everyone or not?

All I get afterwards is like:

mikas_0-1667058159376.png

AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS

I think you can only see what you registered for.

I never registered for this event so I can't see them either.

I can only see the original 26 launch videos from July.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11