Our Community
Ask questions about this community, the platform, and any technical questions.

New site navigation

rm
Expert

I'm sure my question does not apply to everyone else in this forum.  Wondering if the old style list of topics is berried in here somewhere.  I am also sure this is just one of those, you have to get used to the new system type things.....but I am finding it very difficult to find any of the topics I was following on the previous Archi-Talk site.

Is there a place here on the new site to learn how to navigate it efficiently or how topics that were once posted can be found again.

Personally feeling like a fish out of water right now.

Thank you!

Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
11 REPLIES 11
ksjhawk
Enthusiast

I agree...would liked it to at least resemble the order of the forum. 

MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 12.4
AC26 - AC6.5

I think there are some categories that still need to be split further. As example the new Document and Visualize forum. People know I have been regular helping with the rendering visualize topic questions.

It was easy for me to login to the forum - click on the topic - and see the top new questions that might need some feedback.

Now I don't have this direct option and have to scroll though questions, a lot of questions to see the latest questions about rendering and visualisation. Yes I could search but again that takes too long to find all the latest post I might could help out.

To be honest I don't have the time to do this and I can see that many will miss out on my years of experience unfortunately. I think this will be similar for other people that frequently help out on this forum in other topics.

For the people that created this new forum design, remember people answering question do this in their spare time, in between jobs or in their coffee break.

Hope you take this on board.

Cheers Carsten

Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Eduardo Rolon

This is as close as I have been able to set the search to match AC-Talk's list view.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=includeForums,dateRangeType...

@Carstenem you can edit the parameters to only show the forum that you are interested in.

----

I know it is not the same but things should start to evolve once the initial kinks are worked out. All the previous moderators are here so we know how things looked in the old yahoo.forums 😉

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Lingwisyer
Guru

Added tags, wooo! Made subs generic, zzz...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Yeah, it's not good enough. The search is good for people looking for an answer but not for people making a contribution . You won't get around adding more topics if you like the same involvement as before from people help answering questions.

Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I also used to cherry pick 3 or 4 forums that held my interest. The new interface seems a bit clunky and it is taking up more time for me to browse.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Miha_M
Advisor

Agree. This is all nice and has more colors, but the basic content overview is lost and gone.

Why would you go and fix something that was in good working condition? This is becoming a GS focus problem. I don't care for those fancy user badges if I can't help somebody to solve a problem or if somebody can't help me solve mine, just because I will need to set up the search parameters instead of turning on the latest posts under one dedicated topic. I agree that the articles part is a nice upgrade, but why would you sacrifice a working forum platform for some new design with a new focus on articles instead of keeping a working Archicad user forum and upgrading it's content with a new articles and blog section? Well, let's be honest. Archicad 25 also does not have all the small needed touchups an architect would welcome for his workflow, but has mostly collaboration and structural analytical model upgrades other disciplines will be happy to see. As I said, GS is starting to have a focus problem. Archicad was always a leading tool for architects, but the development has been on a spin-off for mostly BIM related functionality. I don't say that this is no good - BIM is the future, but you can't put the architectural part and an architect's workflow on a sideline. 

There is one good thing to it - a merge of my GS account with my Archicad -talk one, which were different as I've been around for a long time. I am happy about that, although my personal messages have all vanished, which makes me a bit less happy.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

4hotshoes
Advisor

THICK! the new forum feels very thick. That is the first word that comes to mind. I want to make this work, but I don't even know where to start. It feels like a maze with thick sound-proof walls. Where did everybody go? Yes the forum looks pretty on the screen, but its not very helpful right now. I posted something just before the change over. I don't think anybody has seen my question yet. But I have no way to know that. The other forum had thinner transparent walls where it felt as though you could see each other.

My post has screen shots that cannot be seen unless you load a new window. That is too heavy to be helpful. Dense and thick the new forum is. Too much distance between posts and comments. Not enough tools for communication. Although I see nice formatting tools if I had time to play with them.😶

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)

I have been trying to get used to this new site, to no avail yet.  My feeling is that it gives more importance to "newness" than to "relevance", so it doesnt have a way to prioritize topics, or i havent found a way.

Its seems too much like a conversation now, which might sound good, except for the fact that it is a very crowded and very noisy cacophonic conversation with so many people in there that you cannot actually hear anything.   Is it organic? yes, is it useful? not so much.

The previous site was more old school; it didnt feel like a conversation but more like a repository of information with an easy way to identify hot topics.  More like a library, where everyone could give their knowledge and more or less be able to index it (it was not perfect of course, and there were too many old topics).  Was it nice to the eyes? not too much, was it helpful? yes, very

This new design also gives the impression that it actually tries to discourage subversive or critical comentary because some of the most popular topics in the other site where very critical about the product and the company, which, of course i understand not everyone in the company wants to be hearing a bunch of nerds complaining about their product, but sometimes things need to be said.

Hope a middle ground is found with these forum design philosophies. Meanwhile ill keep trying to get a grip on the site as im very possibly missing something.