General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Why do I subscribe to this software?

mark_muldoon
Contributor

Given that I sacrifice a decent amount of money for this software, why do I have so-called "master layouts" that include "A3 Title-block Portrait" that are actually Landscape format with only a border line?  Why is it that the online help suggests that i spend the hours or more do my own title block on my own "custom Master" layout?  Why is it that an Archicad title block doesn't have the brains to realize that it has to break to a new line as it runs stupidly off the side of a drawing?  You wonder at the competition.  Simple things that make your users day easier. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz 64 GB
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
4 REPLIES 4
Marc H
Advisor

Hi Mark,

It can be a bit intimidating at first, but with a little exploration, you can edit the master layout sizes and custom name them.  Be sure to utilize Auto-text where possible.  There are also auto-positioning features to be utilized. It really makes things efficient.

If you want pre-built ones, you can download various template files offered by some very experienced AC folks.  Some are free (e.g., Jared Banks Shoegnome Open Template), some are low cost (e.g., Eric Bobrow's MasterTemplate), and there are also firm consultants who offer templates along with their services.  Personally, I re-designed the pre-built ones to my own needs, but use the best practices from the templates noted above.   Good luck !

Sample Master Layout.png
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
mark_muldoon
Contributor

Marc H,

Thank you for your prompt reply.  However, my problem was with Graphisoft in that, despite the cost of their software, it was not able, out of the box, to perform a task as basic to the profession as format a drawing to A3 portrait with a standard titleblock that would suit. 

I really don't want to spend my time, and money, trying to hunt up the documentation and have to recreate a thin title block at the base of an A3 sheet of paper that could have a logo, north point, site, drawing title and ID instead of a title block that was obviously designed for a B1 or larger and can't even automatically insert a carriage return. 

Hence my frustration with what is supposed to be a professional piece of software.

Maybe it's my experience with game software, where if you can't finish the game without reformatting the final scene, there would be howls of protest.

Maybe it's my experence with CRM software like Dynamics, where if you can't put in a new Client or generate a new document, you have to reformat it so that it can be properly issued, there would be howls of protest.

Maybe I'm asking too much.  Am I?  A drawing layout that is actually in portrait?  A title block that doesn't dominate the page, rather than be subordinate to it?  Is that too much to ask?  Out of the box?  That I can edit without doing a course in HTML?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz 64 GB
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

Mark,

I'm trying hard to empathize with what you're trying to say, but just am not able to get there.  100's of thousands of professionals use Archicad productively daily to produce small, medium, large, and absolutely massive models and precise documentation sets.  It just sounds to me like you have not had any hands-on training or just do not want to put the effort in to discovering how to do these most simple tasks.   This is a massively capable yet complex piece of software that cannot just be purchased and used on day 1 without learning even the basics.

To your question, "Why do I subscribe...".... the question is to yourself, not to us, I think?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Hi Mark,

Archicad can come across as similar to many easy-to-use out-of-the-box softwares, and the many GUI features do give that impression.  My approach to it is rather as a "platform" on/in which you customize and tailor to your needs.  Platforms (e.g., database engines) are normally fairly expensive because of their wide application and customization hooks, etc.  

Much as there are many architectural specialties, there are many ways to use AC, as well as working across the globe!  So, Graphisoft, I think understandably so, does not infuse as much pre-built content as our own particular needs may want, but they do provide (and are expanding) object libraries, and access to design process resources so you can make use of the platform to your custom needs.  

As to programming, you can do most everything without it as I have these many years.  The closest I have come is using the recently included PARAMO sub-app to create objects, which utilizes a fairly straightforward GUI (though could use lots more documentation).  Anyway, I hope this helps and this GS Community can help and inform as you grow into it.

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors