Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

2-Way Referencing Detail Markers/Labels

Andy Thomson
Advisor
From the Old Salt department in our office has come this request: details that not only carry their number/ID - but also refer 'backwards' as it were - to what section view and page their source view can be found on.

I know the possibility is there - just think about it:

A Label with 'Detail Name, Detail Number/ID and <PmShNo> - so that people can trace these puppies backwards in the field - this would be a very rich yet simple addition.

(that'd be 'worth the price tag on the software' the principal said)

A.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
12 REPLIES 12
__archiben
Booster
andyro wrote:
A Label with 'Detail Name, Detail Number/ID and <PmShNo> - so that people can trace these puppies backwards in the field - this would be a very rich yet simple addition.
are you talking about archiCAD retrieving the sheet/drawing number data from the plotmaker layout book and displaying it on the floor plan?

i think a lot of people would love that! or did i misunderstand you?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
TomWaltz
Participant
I think the point was an easier way to know what Section/Detail number/name the drawing that is placed in Plotmaker came from.

It can be a pain to open PM just to hunt down a view, get its properties, then open AC and hunt for that view (especially with Teamwork)
Tom Waltz
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Tom got it right - that was the request anyhow, and from what I surmise from comingling with all these GS nondisclaimer folks, what Ben suggests may (or may not be) already in the works...you tell me though - and more importantly than reverse hunting down the source view of the detail in ArchiCad -

is being able to flip through a document set on site, and direct the builder to what section plan or elevation view the detail came from.

When GS begins revolutionizing the way the printed documents work rather than just mirroring the 2D docuement organization in CAD is when GS really begins to outpace the competition...

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
is being able to flip through a document set on site, and direct the builder to what section plan or elevation view the detail came from
Yep, that's essential...
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
andyro wrote:
is being able to flip through a document set on site, and direct the builder to what section plan or elevation view the detail came from.

When GS begins revolutionizing the way the printed documents work rather than just mirroring the 2D docuement organization in CAD is when GS really begins to outpace the competition...

A
Not so,IMO,Whose Model( Standard ?),2D CDs and Data,Yours or the Builders?,I guess you can always step up and Build real projects yourselves and take the responsibility,-HTH
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Not so,IMO,Whose Model( Standard ?),2D CDs and Data,Yours or the Builders?,I guess you can always step up and Build real projects yourselves and take the responsibility,-HTH
Oh no, not this crap again!
Guys do not bother to answer any of this. It's actually software that puts random words together to 'stir' the debate up...
::rk
It doesn't address the documents point of view, but within AC you can right-click on a (linked, never-independent) detail name and choose (deep breath) 'Select Detail marker on the Source View and zoom to it'. Which takes you to where the original marker was placed.

The document reverse reference thing would be complicated by the case of multiple sheets showing the detailed condition.

Unless I misunderstand...?
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
The document reverse reference thing would be complicated by the case of multiple sheets showing the detailed condition.
Back referencing of details is standard practice here in NZ (and England too, from memory). If a detail can be referenced from more than one source, you refer to the first instance. Not sure how this would be implemented in AC, perhaps a dummy marker?

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
You're kidding yourself Rob, there is no debate,Have a look at our ( Builders) processes,Data and CDs,Soon you will be placed outside of the loop and you'll only have yourselves to blame.-Goodluck-HTH.