Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

2d-elements visible in 3d-window

Anonymous
Not applicable
it would be very helpful if we had the possibility in archicad to make 2d-elements (like lines, splines, fills, text) optionally visible in the 3d.

for what?
- visualizations
- visual-control of the 3d-modell
- a lot of new hotspots for "direct-3d-drawing"

best regards,
xa-4
10 REPLIES 10
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
xa-4 wrote:
it would be very helpful if we had the possibility in archicad to make 2d-elements (like lines, splines, fills, text) optionally visible in the 3d.

for what?
- visualizations
- visual-control of the 3d-modell
- a lot of new hotspots for "direct-3d-drawing"

best regards,
xa-4
There is a way to do it already. Not hard but a little time consuming.. There is a great tutorial on ArchiGuide, sorry I couldn't find it it's a mess over there at the moment, looks like their in the process of re-doing it.

Any way what you do is save out your project as a DWG open it up as a library part and then place it on you floor plan.. Open it up in the 3D window and there you go.

It a great technique for visualizations, incorporation of 2D/3D..

But yes it would be great to have it as an option direct in ArchiCAD..
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Thomas Holm
Booster
Ben's tip works fine if you want for example a floor plan (or other 2D linework, maybe from a section/elevation) to show in a 3D view. But to create linework in 3D, if you want to draw lines on a wall, for example - not very easy.

What you have to do in that case is to export the model (save as dwg/dxf from a 3D view) to an application that allows you to draw linework in 3D (such as Autocad or Microstation), do the linework you want there, then delete the imported model, save the linework as dwg/dxf, and import it back into Archicad as an object...

Not very intuitive or easy, but possible. In my view, you should be able to do this completely within Archicad instead.

Thomas
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Thomas Holm
Booster
There is a great tutorial on ArchiGuide, sorry I couldn't find it it's a mess over there at the moment, looks like their in the process of re-doing it.
Link:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/3ddatafromautocad.html
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Thomas wrote:
There is a great tutorial on ArchiGuide, sorry I couldn't find it it's a mess over there at the moment, looks like their in the process of re-doing it.
Link:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/3ddatafromautocad.html
No that link is not the one I meant. I'll see if I can find it and then I'll post it here..

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben wrote:
There is a way to do it already. Not hard but a little time consuming.. There is a great tutorial on ArchiGuide, sorry I couldn't find it it's a mess over there at the moment, looks like their in the process of re-doing it.

Any way what you do is save out your project as a DWG open it up as a library part and then place it on you floor plan.. Open it up in the 3D window and there you go.

It a great technique for visualizations, incorporation of 2D/3D..

But yes it would be great to have it as an option direct in ArchiCAD..
hi all,
i knew this way (and it works more or less fine), but as you wrote... this way is time consuming!
particularly if you have to make changes several times.

stay tuned!
xa-4
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
What you have done looks really nice. I still can't find the link on ArchiGuide It give a great visual effect..
Ben O'Donnell
Thomas Holm
Booster
Ben,

did you find the Archiguide link you mentioned? About making 2D linework visible in 3D without using an external application (I'm not just talking about the floor plan)?

Thomas
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Thomas wrote:
Ben,

did you find the Archiguide link you mentioned? About making 2D linework visible in 3D without using an external application (I'm not just talking about the floor plan)?

Thomas
Hi Thomas..
I did find it. Thanks for reminding me.. Well here it is.http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/floorplanin3d.html
Ben O'Donnell
Anonymous
Not applicable
The archiguide links aren’t working. Is this still available?