Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

3D Detail Bounding Box

gavinNZz
Advocate

The detailing process in Archicad is old fashioned and well out of date. The idea that all details are 2D is, in  current times, quite laughable! 

Details should be created through the placement of a 'detail box' in 3 dimensional space (in whatever shape is required). This detail box could then have its own structure placed within the Archicad project map much like an interior elevation, except reversed (so looking inwards) along with top down and bottom up views. This detail box would also retain a live link with the main 3D model. View sets could then be used to filter and create the visual outputs of the detail. 

The detail box could be viewed in plan or elevation/section and have a marker applied as required

This feature would greatly improve the work flow around detailing in Archicad and provide a beginning to end 3D BIM solution. 

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
5 REPLIES 5
DGSketcher
Legend

There's a definite gap in the AC armoury for a simple tool that would allow extraction and detailing of components & local assemblies. The automatic creation of a set of orthogonal & isometric / perspective views from the box would be awesome. This is an interesting solution... 😎

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Karl Ottenstein

The pieces to do this live 3D detail have existed for many years - but not in a convenient and totally live way as in your wish.  For example, a 3D view has, for 20+ years, saved the value of the bold (multi-story) marquee, cutting planes and story visibility settings, and either camera or isometric position - allowing you to - more awkwardly than a 3D marquee I agree - create the view that you describe.  A 3D Document based on this view allows you to annotate... and to regenerate the 3D view... but there is no automatic update - only manual (click per 3D Document).

The visible detail box with callout, etc all make your wish a really smooth and productive concept over the current multi-step and error prone method of doing 3D details. 👍

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

personally, i'm not too miffed with the detail bounding box.

i'm more annoyed that when you do open the detail, it takes a snapshot of walls/floors/roofs/etc & you lose much of the setup work with the Composites. i've doing my detail work by re-creating what's captured in the bounding box & moving it to the side, simply to avoid the loss of linked documentation (labels/dimensions) should the detail update.

i would love it if it was a live version, rather than a snapshot.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

@Gerry Leonor This thread is a wish for a 3D detailing box by @gavinNZz .  It's not about the existing detail tool / box or no box. 🙂

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear All,

Thank you for sharing your ideas and opinions regarding this request!

I'm glad to say that we took notice and we have added this wish to our Wishlist database.
(For future reference, you can refer to it as IDEA-11851)

I hope we see this get implemented in the future.

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT