BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

3D Navigation

Anonymous
Not applicable
In AC10 3D navigation became a lot better with the explore/fly-mode, but I think it still could be a bit better... For me, a combination of what we have in AC 10 now, and how 3D navigation works in Artlantis, would be perfect.. Cause i really like the way it works in artlantis, where right click+drag = rotate camera around itself and left click+drag = rotate camera around the target point.. this + the explore/fly-mode would be everything I need..! (I would also like to have the explore/fly-mode in artlantis )
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not 100% convinced by the Explore mode of navigation. Usually I select it, then move my mouse into screen are which upsets the view. I know, I should just leave my mouse alone but old habits die hard, and you need the mouse so you can rotate your view and change view angle so you don't sink thru the floor or float into space. Also zipping around with the arrow tools is fine but changing to the Page Up / Page Down keys for elevation is a pain. The combination of keys and mouse does not feel comfortable to me.

And where is the gentle up and down motion you get in Doom when you walk?
Anonymous
Not applicable
it was a bit uncomfortable for me too in the beginning, but i found out that, at least for me, it was just a matter of selecting the right speed..
yeah, the page up/page down buttons is a pain.. often when i just move around, its easier to just look straight up or down and then use the up and down arrows instead.. maybe a solution could be to make it possible to click the scrollwheel and drag the camera up or down, while you're in explore mode..?
R Muller
Enthusiast
I have a MacBook and I can't find anything that looks like a page up/ page down key. The arrow keys have dual function? You hold something down while pressing an arrow key?

Help! Can anyone with a MacBook tell me how to make the camera go up and down?
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
Andy Thomson
Advisor
space-bar and c will elevate you.

I think a scripted bounds detection/collision would go a long way towards realizing better 3D navigation. Also, selection while explore is active would help a lot, then you could pick an object, fit to selection, and pole-vault your way through the space as in maya. I am not crazy about the mouse-driven head movements, prefer arrow keys for that and wasd for the rest.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
__archiben
Booster
andyro wrote:
space-bar and c will elevate you.
but not together

SPACE - raises camera
C - lowers camera

some alternative built-in commands...

W- moves forward
S - moves backwards
A - moves left
D - moves right

and a useful one...

F - toggles 'fly' mode (locks camera height)
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
R wrote:
I have a MacBook and I can't find anything that looks like a page up/ page down key. The arrow keys have dual function? You hold something down while pressing an arrow key?
yep: holding down the command key activates the page up, page down, home and end functions of the arrow keys . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Of course this has all been handed to us on a platter.

If you don't see the attached dialog when you hit the Explore Model button, you can turn it on by setting your ExploreModelUsage registry entry to 0.

Cheers,
Link.
3D-Explore-Information.jpg
Learn and get certified!