Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

3D view next to drawings & Multiple tabs

Anonymous
Not applicable
The tabs are static.

There is no method for adjusting the tabs next to eachother when working.

Would like to have the 3D view next to my drawings.

And when it is next to my drawings the 3D view must also update itself with the occurring actions, like a realtime view.

-------
Tip
-------

A workaround might be to right click on the title of the 3D view tab and select resize view.

When a smaller size is set then the window will shrink and stay on top.

When switching to a drawing then the 3D view is right there.

When working and changes are made in the 2D view the 3D viewing has to be clicked to also show the last edits made.

F3 or F5 still can be used to view the 3D model in the large viewing tab.

------

Not sure, but it seems not possible to have multiple tabs open that are of the same kind. Thus this option might be helpfull. There is a kind of split view, but that shows other views 'on top' of your current view.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
Hi,

Welcome to archicad-talk. It is generally best, before making wishes in the wish forums, to post a question to see if what you'd like to do is possible or not already. Also, please include in your posts - or better in your forum signature - the version of ARCHICAD and the operating system you are using.

With AC 24 on MacOS, tabs can be dragged into whatever order you'd like.

The 3D tab will update when you switch to it by clicking or pressing F3. When you say you want a realtime view - it sounds like you want two side-by-side windows, not tabs. ARCHICAD does not support updating multiple views at once like other software. That has been a long time wish - and you will find many old posts wishing for that feature. If I misunderstand - and you mean something related to tabs - please clarify 🙂

Yes, you can have multiple tabs of the same kind. It is a Work Environment setting. The default is one tab of each type to simplify things for most users. Just go to Work Environment > User Preference Schemes > More Options and you'll see checkboxes to enable new tabs for each view and each layout - rather than replacing the previous view/layout.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
Hi,

Welcome to archicad-talk. It is generally best, before making wishes in the wish forums, to post a question to see if what you'd like to do is possible or not already. Also, please include in your posts - or better in your forum signature - the version of ARCHICAD and the operating system you are using.

With AC 24 on MacOS, tabs can be dragged into whatever order you'd like.

The 3D tab will update when you switch to it by clicking or pressing F3. When you say you want a realtime view - it sounds like you want two side-by-side windows, not tabs. ARCHICAD does not support updating multiple views at once like other software. That has been a long time wish - and you will find many old posts wishing for that feature. If I misunderstand - and you mean something related to tabs - please clarify 🙂

Yes, you can have multiple tabs of the same kind. It is a Work Environment setting. The default is one tab of each type to simplify things for most users. Just go to Work Environment > User Preference Schemes > More Options and you'll see checkboxes to enable new tabs for each view and each layout - rather than replacing the previous view/layout.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
And you can re-arrange the tabs to any order you want by simply dragging them.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
'it sounds like you want two side-by-side windows, not tabs.'

That is right, I explained it as tab but it could be mentioned as side-by-side windows. I guess I will use my workaround for now.

For the other command about multiple tabs, I will check it out.

I'm new to archicad indeed.

(Did ask a bit around before posting and some general searches, but will take your advice about posting)

Tanks !
Barry Kelly
3x3 wrote:
'it sounds like you want two side-by-side windows, not tabs.'

That is right, I explained it as tab but it could be mentioned as side-by-side windows. I guess I will use my workaround for now.

Yes you can have multiple, free floating windows if you want (there can only ever be one plan and one 3D window).
You can un-dock them from the TAB bar ('restore down' in Windows), but as Karl mentioned, they do not update automatically.
You must click in the window to activate it and then it will update.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm no such a developer. But you (Karl) say:

' That has been a long time wish - and you will find many old posts wishing for that feature.'

And Graphisoft state the software as:

'Archicad is a professional building information modeling software solution complying with all digital-delivery requirements, offering an intuitive design environment, accurate building information management, open collaboration and automated documentation.'

Then the time has come and gone about this matter.