Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

A Proper User Forum

gavinNZz
Advocate

Personally I am over this forum format. It doesn't deliver what I want as an Archicad user. Surely there are enough of us to start a new forum? We have given Graphisoft more than enough time to implement changes that would have appeased the majority of complaints

So, I would like to ask the user community what forum system would best suit the their needs? There are a multitude of plug and play systems out there that would provide the type of functionality that we are all looking for. No doubt a lot of us are active on multiple forum platforms so lets decide on one and then get on with working together to become better Archicad users.

Even if only a 10th of the current forum members join we will probably get more from it than persisting with this system.

Maybe some are happy with the current structure and that's fine because it seems like Graphisoft is happy to keep it as is so good luck to them but if you aren't happy lets do something about it ourselves!

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
31 REPLIES 31
jl_lt
Ace

What is it you dont like on this one? Personally i dislike the absolute lack of structure and order in the topics (or at least aparent lack of structure from my point of view) something which i have talked about elsewhere;  the "like" system (which i dont like) and the label system.

gavinNZz
Advocate

I'm not really interested in discussing the issues with this forum as they have been mentioned many times before. It's time to look beyond these issues and look to create a solution that will work for those of use who want to engage within a proper forum structure. Do you use other Forums? if so post the one you like the best.

Planworks Ltd
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
jl_lt
Ace

I understand your point, but please, take note of the irony in failing or refusing to engage in a discussion within a forum after receiving a direct question while also wanting to change that same forum structure so you can actually engage in a discussion proper.  

To answer your question, no, i dont use other forums, be it facebooks, reddits nor anything else, so i dont have much of a comparison point, just that i like the old Archicad forum better.

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

The old forum was ok , this new is not so good. However a new forum would loose all the valuable history that this forum has built up during the many years it has been running. Imo it would be very unfortunate it the user base was forced to create a forum on the side. I ventilated this idea before but more like a hint to GS that they need to do something. I really would like to  keep this fantastic source of information but in new clothes or bring back the old ones.

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Miha_M
Advisor

An active user forum is a great source for information from and to users and in the same time huge benefit to Graphisoft. It's a simple and effective way to have a software support platform running where your only cost is the platform and probably the moderators. Almost all knowledge gathered here is free and costs Zero. Nada. Null. For GS and for all of us. But the main benefit is, I believe, on GS side. Can you imagine how much it would cost to build a knowledge base like that with paid experts? That's why I wish GS should put more effort into listening to users here and do that little changes most of us have suggested. As @jl_lt said it here and under another topic, most of us would like to see a more structured platform, which would be more a knowledge repository than just a conversation, which we have now.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Thanks and I agree the knowledge base is important and I too would want to keep it. The issue is that there have been numerous requests around some basic functionality changes in this forum and nothing has changed. The forum was migrated to this platform to facilitate engagement with the AC community (yay GS!) But its like they thought that was all they had to do. Maybe a post to the community around what changes they are going to make to the forum and when they are going to make them would be a start! I just want to open the forum, see what topics are active and maybe learn something new or help someone else out. The addition of a date filter would be wonderful. It's not too much to ask it it?

Planworks Ltd
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!

I'd love to see the numbers of interaction here. I would assume it's much lower than the previous forum. Remember when you could go directly to a topic or subject matter and easily find discussions on it because everything was in a hierarchal type system, with well laid out categories? Now it's like pulling teeth. I only come here to look at recent topics because that's about all that is easily viewable.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd be down to participate!

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
DGSketcher
Legend

I don't like the format of this forum either. What I do like is the extent of the data within it that serves as a great reminder of all the long standing requests and empty promises that GS have made on tool development & other issues. Sorry, not feeling the "the love" for GS today as I have just been reminded that if an issue doesn't fall within their immediate blinkered fire fighting roadmap it won't be looked at, let alone actioned, even if it is a critical part of the software.

I believe there are plenty of other discussion groups out there which may be helpful but the historic  value and guidance from experienced users of this knowledge base will never be matched. It's just a shame GS treat it as a liability rather than an asset.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Yep, I see the irony! My main issue is the inability to filter results by date. The most viewed/most liked buttons just need a date filter attached so I can see the most commented in the last week/month. I have asked for this function directly and have been told it would be a good addition to the forum.....but nothing. Its just a data filter on another database field so I don't understand why it is so hard to implement quickly?

Planworks Ltd
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!