Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

A few things to make GDL less frustrating

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. Auto save and recover. Nothing worse than your computer crashing and losing hours worth of work. Why isn't recover work in the GDL window?

2. When adding new parameters it would be nice if they appeared below the current highlighted one rather the end of a very long list.

3. A debugging spell check that checks spelling of your parameters comparing them to what you typed in the parameter list. Ditto on the GDL keywords.

4. A printed version of the GDL manual that actually made sense.

5. A magic key that would stop processing without having to press it 50 times before it responds.

6. The ability to copy parameter lines from one object to another.

7. To beable to see 3D hotspots on the 3D window.

8. An origin point on 2D like in 3D

I could go on but I think that will do for now. 😉
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
Julia wrote:

2. When adding new parameters it would be nice if they appeared below the current highlighted one rather the end of a very long list.

3. A debugging spell check that checks spelling of your parameters comparing them to what you typed in the parameter list. Ditto on the GDL keywords.

Good points

5. A magic key that would stop processing without having to press it 50 times before it responds.
Does Command (or Control) +period work for you? It should stop most processes in AC. I have noticed in AC 8 that it's not as reliable as it used to be.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
1. Agree wholeheartedly, especially as Crashes often occur when you try to Save something if there is a fault in your loop.
2. How I have longed for this. Didnt matter so much before because the total number of parameters was in your control, but the new Subtype system means that your the undeletable FM parameters as so many that you own new ones are pages deep, and it takes a while to drag them up to join the other parameters.
3. We have been asking this for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS. Not so much for parameter spelling, but of key words, and auto uppercasing if its a key word, eg Block becomes BLOCK, etc. And auto-colours for parameters, commands, quotes etc.
4. The GDL Cookbook can be used as an alternative manual for most things, I do so because it helps me think of ideas for improving the next edition. I find my own book very helpful, especially in the Maths section. (It doesnt help in the dull things like listings of GVs, the GDLCB was never intended to be a full replacement for the manual).
5. Escape!!!???? Why not GS!?
6. These are perceptive comments, I have always felt that one should be able to build the whole parameter definition in the parameter script, and if the definition had the correct syntax, it would appear magically in the param table, just like Pop down valuelists do if their syntax is correct. And another thing - HIDEPARAMETER is great, but we also need SHOWPARAMETER to bring one back. otherwise tortuous logic is required to make a parameter show again.
7. aha!!! yes. sometimes you can place little spheres at those spots, until everything works. in fact you could have little spheres builtin into every HS routine, and have a toggle at the start of the script to hide and show them.
8. ditto, you can use a CIRCLE2 0,0,0.01 to simulate the cursor. I have occasionally built a subroutine that makes the whole of the cursor, in 2D and 3D including arrowheads, when you want the 3D view to show the cursor within archiCAD.

Julia wrote:
1. Auto save and recover. Nothing worse than your computer crashing and losing hours worth of work. Why isn't recover work in the GDL window?

4. A printed version of the GDL manual that actually made sense.

7. To beable to see 3D hotspots on the 3D window.

8. An origin point on 2D like in 3D

I could go on but I think that will do for now. 😉
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
And while we're at it....

9. Colour code scripts
10. A column to the left of every script numbering each line (with the ability to turn on and off).

I'm thinking the above would be similar in the way HTML editors work - like Dreamweaver.

James.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Aussie John
Newcomer
In text edit (onmac) you can type a letter and get it to show all the words in the library starting with those letters. (like when you type into your browser and it starts listing recent URLs)

How about if you start to type a global variable and you get a list of the variables. Same for 3d and 2d commands.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Julia wrote:
I asked GDLTalk a question which led to an answer for this. Read all about it .

Maybe Oleg will want to post the official tip here. Very good. Worthy of GDL tip of the month, if we had one.
Oleg
Expert
Alex wrote:
Maybe Oleg will want to post the official tip here. Very good. Worthy of GDL tip of the month, if we had one.
Oh, no Alex, It is Roberto's tip + your important additions.
I am just tried to divide the tip to steps.
Your English is definitely better mine
This is tricky tip. May be you can to post it here in more clear words. My explanation will to puzzle not so experienced GDLers. I hope, Roberto Corona will not against.

Oleg.
owen
Newcomer

2003 post and i just voted essential. I get 1 vote in total on this poll? Were they reset or something? I hope this isn't a plot by GS to deny the democratic process .... well we were going to but no-one though it was important
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
My wish would be to have all undocumented and other (not included in current manual) features scattered all over different documents (like the library development kit etc) + all known bugs IN ONE GDL USER MANUAL.
::rk