BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

A modern GUI (for the Mac)

Christiaan
Participant
We'd like a modern GUI update to Mac version of Archicad. For us this is pretty much the last hurdle stopping us from switching from Vectorworks.

People say there are other priorities but you can say that about every version.

The crazy thing is Revit's interface is more modern and Mac-like on Windows than Archicad is on Mac.
5 REPLIES 5
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
The crazy thing is Revit's interface is more modern and Mac-like on Windows than ArchiCAD is on Mac.
you must be kidding. Revit interface is a perfect example of what Win GUI got completely wrong. e.g. Ribbon UI crap.
::rk
Eduardo Rolon
Agree on the idea do not like the example. For me stealing from Aperture, Modo, Lightroom or Motion makes more sense.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Presentation is ESSENTIAL. Half of what we do as architects depends on presentation!

To give a better example: No matter how smart and beautiful of a person you are I won't talk to you if you did not take a shower and wear the same cloth for 20years!

ArchiCAD UI is reminiscent of what things looked like in the early 90's. Leaving things unchanged for so many years is a mistake. Look at Microsoft with Windows Mobile; They did not want to change anything so that nobody gets upset. Conclusion: the world around them kept on moving while they were standing still and now they are playing catch-up!

ArchiCAD was there before REVIT and is supposedly a better platform. Yet, in a few years time REVIT managed to jump ahead and become the dominant platform (north-america)... Obviously that is not because they had a better looking UI, but marketing and development budget aside when you look at what REVIT was in 2005 and what it is today you immediately get that impression that these guys are running to win and not just for the sport!!! The same can not be said about ArchiCAD that essentially looks identical to what it looked like 15 years ago!

Ok, Graphisoft is making a lot of improvement to their software but I really think that a good shower wouldn't hurt... And honestly, would that take away so much resources from their development team?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I made a post in this forum about a specific GUI update I would like to see in ArchiCAD.

There are GUI things in Revit that are way out of date too.

Please a make specific list of GUI things that you think may be out of date in AC and suggest what can be done to improve them.

I want AC to improve as well and you can't really compare a grotty person with a grotty tee shirt to some out of date features in AC can you?

A clean person with a few old out of fashion clothes in the wardrobe yes. Let them get the money and get some new in fashion things in the wardrobe one thing at time.

We would all like to see a big make over but the reality is that under the surface their
are things that don't get noticed unless you take a very close look.
zarmenas
Newcomer
I also agree with the idea and think this is essential. I've been working with AC for over 10 years and the GUI is really outdated. People keep asking to update the interface for years...

I don't think that AC needs to be like Revit or Max or Photoshop or any other program for that matter. BUT - AC might adapt some cool features and new ideas, that others are using for quite some time now. Context menus, pie menus, conditional layer filters (and not only layer), etc., etc....

MAC interface, to compare to Windows interface is far far behind. I know as I work on both platforms for a long time and I see the changes. Drawing windows keep hiding under menus, bla-bla-bla - a lot is written about UI. One moment in particular is annoying, when one publishes something and while publisher is doing it's magic, one jumps to another program / desktop / etc. When you switch back to AC, the publisher window often gets under, for example, Organizer window. You cannot close the Organizer window, as the publisher is active - but you can not reach the bloody f...er as it is behind the other one....

Long story short, GUI should be changed / updated PRONTO, as all the competitors are moving forward and one day they'll get too far ahead to catch-up.
Learn and get certified!