Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

A new tool to create libraries outside of the library manager

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I design a building/complex I use objects from the standard AC library of object and objects that I have downloaded from BIMObject and other locations/manufacturers. The result is that I now have downloaded objects that are stored in the "embedded" library and various locations on my hard drive. When the next version of AC comes out it requires that I find all of these objects and reload them into the new version using the library manager. For me it is a lot of needless work to add all of the objects. It would be nicer if I only had to add 1 or 2 libraries with all of the parts. Unfortunately the library manager in AC does not have an "Extract/Rebuild" option which would allow the user to extract the .lcf file, add components to it and then rebuilt the .lcf file with the same name (my ECAD software does this and adding new components/objects is a breeze). It would be beneficial if AC had a create library function that allow the creation of a .lcf file inwhich the user could select any object from anywhere on the system hard drive without first having to be added to the AC project. I see this working as follows;
Step 1 - Select "File/New Library" which would open a new window (within AC obviously).
At the top of the window would be a location that the user will indicate where to locate the new library.
At the bottom of the window the is a location to provide the name of the new library.
At the bottom of the window there would be the usual "cancel" and "save" buttons.
The window will have a center field which will show the contents of what is in the library (incl. folder structure.
If the library is new the field will be blank and only the "add" button will be accessible.

Step 2 - press the "add" button and a new "file explorer" window will open allowing the user to navigate and select the objects that the person wants. It would work like adding attachments to an email. Once all of the objects have been selected and added to the library the user should have the ability to highlight and remove an object if desired by selecting the "remove/delete" button next to the "add" button.

Step 3 - Once all of the objects have been deemed correct the user can click on the "save" button which will cause a new window to open with the option to just create the file and save in the indicated location or save the library and automatically add it to the project as a linked library.

It should be noted that there isn't any reason that this function couldn't be done from the library manager and if done that way it would be easy to "drag and drop" an object from the "embedded" library to the new library without having to export the object to a neutral folder.
4 REPLIES 4
Lingwisyer
Guru
You cannot just have a standard folder that is mapped into your template that you save all of these objects too?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
DrWho,
I am not quite following the problems you are having.
In the Library Manager, there is a button that allows you to "Export selected library items into local folder".
So you can save your 'Embedded' files into your local system library folder and then this folder is simply loaded into any other file you are working with - as one single library.
No it is not an LCF but does that really matter?

As you have discovered to edit an LCF you have to extract it, add or amend the files and then re-create it (there are commands in the menus or the GDL toolbar has buttons for this as well - no there is no extract or create LCF in the library manager).

The only advantage of an LCF is that it is one file and possibly it may load a little faster - but I don't think you will notice this with today's machines unless it is an exceptionally large library.
Loading an LCF or a folder containing separate objects makes not difference once it is loaded, and the loading process is exactly the same.

My 'custom company' library is just a bunch of GDL objects in folders - not saved as an LCF.
This is stored on a server that everyone can access and the library can be loaded into any job.
In fact I actually have all user machines synchronise this library to the local hard drive and load it from there.
Loading from the local hard drive is faster and the synchronising of the folders (library) can be automated with software.
By not having a single LCF file, the synchronising software can copy just the amended or new files rather than the whole LCF file every time there is a change.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the insight Barry. I guess I am just spoiled by the other CAD software I use where they automatically install the library(s) locations upon startup meaning I don't have to go looking for objects/parts/etc. in different locations as they are automatically in the library. As for LCF libraries you are correct it doesn't make a difference. I guess what I would really like to see is a way for AC to allow items in the embedded library to be dragged and dropped into the appropriate folder of the main AC library. As an example, say I download a commercial entry door from BIMcomponent which automatically ends up in the embedded library. It would be nice if I could then open up the library manager, select the embedded tab and then select the new object and drag and drop it into the "Storefront, etc." folder of the main linked library. But the only way I see that happening would be if AC dropped the .lcf file and kept the folder hierarchy intact in the main library folder. Thus when I double click on object, say door, the window opens showing the library folder hierarchy in which I can select the folder with the door type I am looking for and select it in the bottom half of the folder view area. As a single person operation I have to maintain the libraries myself and the easier it (less keystrokes and time) is to maintain them the better for me.

On a side note I have asked about merging libraries upon version upgrades and Windows (which I use) has a "merge" function that allows the user to merge folder and provides the user options to get rid of duplicate entries and yet keep older objects not available in the new library. As I indicated I use various CAD software tools and the less I have to learn about libraries the better for me. Again thanks for the insights.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Regarding startup, if you add the relevant folders to your template, they will always be there and update when ever you add something new to them.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660