Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

A smarter Drawing Usage Plotmaker

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be very nice if plotmaker would be able to recognize weather any given view has been modified. Currently when the project is saved at any time since the last update in plotmaker, all imported views indicate modified. It would be very nice if plotmaker could recognize if a imported drawing has been modified to help inform the user what has been changed in the project and consequently what actually needs to be updated. The current "modified" status is of almost no use since it only indicates that the project has been saved since the last update.
4 REPLIES 4
__archiben
Booster
mike

this is essential and has been wished for on several ocassions now. but as i understand it, this is a very difficult thing to implement:

in order to keep a model 'live', each element of that model would need to know which view(s) it's in and what affect it has on other elements in the model if changed . . . and then 'tell' each of those views that they are out of date. throw teamwork into the equation and you have an even trickier problem to solve to make this work.

i'm still voting essential, because this is something graphisoft really need to figure out to make the whole layout/view updating worthwhile.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Mike, My vote is also essential. It puzzles why GS changed the way we import views into PM. Quickviews are in fact PMKs stored in the cache folder.
In AC7 we could update hotlinks manually as required. Now BGArchicad has to launch, rebuild the complete model before updating PM layouts.
This is a long and frustrating way of accomplishing what I considered a relatively simple task. Maybe I've missed something but the benefits that PM gives us over previous versions has been lost by the fact the complete model has to be rebuilt by a duplicate AC even for the smallest amendment.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rod wrote:

In AC7 we could update hotlinks manually as required. Now BGArchicad has to launch, rebuild the complete model before updating PM layouts.
This is a long and frustrating way of accomplishing what I considered a relatively simple task. Maybe I've missed something but the benefits that PM gives us over previous versions has been lost by the fact the complete model has to be rebuilt by a duplicate AC even for the smallest amendment.

While I agree that a better solution is needed here, and implementation of Mike's wish would be nice, the current method makes file management much easier than the old method. When working on large projects this is huge!

I suggest setting most of the drawings (views) to be manually updated and update when needed or immediately before publication.

Woody
Rod Jurich
Contributor
woodster wrote:
While I agree that a better solution is needed here, and implementation of Mike's wish would be nice, the current method makes file management much easier than the old method. When working on large projects this is huge!

I suggest setting most of the drawings (views) to be manually updated and update when needed or immediately before publication.
Woody I agree, and I manually update always. I am still unable to fully understand the pragmatics of needing to launch a duplicate of AC when you have in fact just revised the model. Whether you have 10 or 110 layouts (100's of imported views) in PM the process would be the same.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |