Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

AC10 Library Naming

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am up and running with the Beta Version being downloaded. I see this as a MAJOR move forward for ArchiCAD in the Design community. This is quite a phenomenal product!

However, I am not too happy with the Library Naming System. I see it as very foolish. What happens in ArchiCAD 11? Are all those parts going to be labeled "xxx 11.gsm" ? Not very smart. I think they need to fix that ASAP, like the quick library change they made when AC9 came out. All my created modules are almost useless, or I need to spend days or weeks replacing all the parts to keep them current. Are we expected to update our modules now with every new release?? AC9 was set up smarter. What does Graphisoft expect us to do? I thought the point was to create highly parametric objects so you only import a couple blocks and they can do everything, not to keep potentially 4-5 libraries around with the same parts but different reiterations. Very very dumb.
10 REPLIES 10
TomWaltz
Participant
I kind of thought that was the purpose of the GUIDs, but they got scrapped for some reason 😞
Tom Waltz
gkovacsp
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Objects are identified by their GUID in the first place, their name is not really relevant now. The reason to keep them is that it makes support easier.

If you load a new (eg AC11) library on an old project (eg. AC10), then all compatible library parts will be automatically replaced by the new ones - based on guid.

Gabor
TomWaltz
Participant
gkovacsp wrote:
If you load a new (eg AC11) library on an old project (eg. AC10), then all compatible library parts will be automatically replaced by the new ones - based on guid.
I'm sure that's the intention, but that was not the experience that I've had, not the original poster it seems.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
gkovacsp wrote:
I'm sure that's the intention, but that was not the experience that I've had, not the original poster it seems.
On reading the original post it appears that he has not tried opening a file started the AC9 library in AC10. I am guessing that he assumes (based on past experience) that the naming breaks the continuity.

The GUID approach has been working well for me. We are so far substituting the AC10 library in all projects that are being brought forward with good results. I have also found it a delight to be able to change or correct the name of an existing part and have it still read normally. There are still plenty of issues to be sorted out with the libraries, but I am finding the GUIDs to be a big step forward.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew,

I can appreciate the presumption, but the posting is precisely because I have spent a lot of time inserting the new library parts into my "carry-over" projects. If I switch out the AC9 library for the AC10 library, I am left with very identifiable "missing parts" dots.

Gabor, the GUIDs may work for half of you, but for the other half, the program wants the name. If this process were "automatic", you would not see a posting on it.

It also seems illogical to me to say that file naming meant nothing, yet Graphisoft spent hours changing them all... The other frustration in renaming (for the user) is that it creates the presumption that the part is now somehow updated or changed. For instance, I do not notice any difference between "Book Shelf 01" from AC8 and AC10. And if I am correct, than why isn't this part still called "Book Shelf 01 8" or "7" for that matter? Why not help the user understand that this is still the same? Why should we need to open the GUID's for God's sake?!

At this point, the fastest thing for me to do is to open the .lcf and rename everything, instead of going into all the files, reinserting the parts, and resetting all the parameters.
Picture 1.jpg
TomWaltz
Participant
I'm with smileyMan. When I open an AC9 project in AC10 and load the AC10 library, I get tons of library objects not found and turning into dots.
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
gkovacsp wrote:
fantastic! but why doesn't it work with archicad AC10 from AC9?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
SmileyMan wrote:
The other frustration in renaming (for the user) is that it creates the presumption that the part is now somehow updated or changed. For instance, I do not notice any difference between "Book Shelf 01" from AC8 and AC10. And if I am correct, than why isn't this part still called "Book Shelf 01 8" or "7" for that matter? Why not help the user understand that this is still the same? Why should we need to open the GUID's for God's sake?!
I agree with this point. I thought the whole reason for renaming a part is so that it doesn't automatically replace it's predecessor and thus makes it possible to leave existing objects in ongoing projects and still load the new library without duplication conflicts. Isn't this what the subset libraries are all about?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
TomWaltz
Participant
Geoff wrote:
SmileyMan wrote:
The other frustration in renaming (for the user) is that it creates the presumption that the part is now somehow updated or changed. For instance, I do not notice any difference between "Book Shelf 01" from AC8 and AC10. And if I am correct, than why isn't this part still called "Book Shelf 01 8" or "7" for that matter? Why not help the user understand that this is still the same? Why should we need to open the GUID's for God's sake?!
I agree with this point. I thought the whole reason for renaming a part is so that it doesn't automatically replace it's predecessor and thus makes it possible to leave existing objects in ongoing projects and still load the new library without duplication conflicts. Isn't this what the subset libraries are all about?
It's kind of a Catch-22. You want to be able to replace a library sometimes and keep them separate in others.

Personally, i really try to avoid more than 1 Archicad library loading in any file.
Tom Waltz