Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

AC26 - Attribute Folders

gdford
Advisor

First let me say that I really really really appreciate the addition of Folders and Search for Layers in Archicad 26, but do not stop there. Please please please also provide us with folders for all of the Attributes, Graphic Overrides and especially for the Graphic Override Criteria. I use the heck out of Graphic Overrides and the Tyranny  of Alphabetical Ordering is driving me crazy.

It is nuts not being able to organize all of this into folders.

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly

I love the search functions and I like the idea of folders but they don't really work.

As you say they need to be implemented for all attributes and the Graphic Overrides as well - let's hope this happens soon.

But many attributes can belong to more than one folder (category), at the moment they can only belong to one - how do you choose?

Of course it depend a lot on how you organise your folders and what 'categories' you want.

If they can allow for attributes to belong in more than one folder, then that will be truly useful.

Like layers in layer combinations - one layer can belong in multiple combinations.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Stress Co_
Advisor

In addition, I'd love it if we could color code folders and hide folders.

Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)

@Barry Kelly wrote:

If they can allow for attributes to belong in more than one folder, then that will be truly useful.

Like layers in layer combinations - one layer can belong in multiple combinations.

It would be no different (?)  than a file shortcut / alias / soft link in folders in MacOS or Windows ... or clones in the View Map?  Would not be re-inventing anything that hasn't existed with folder management for 35 years, so a bit astonishing that they just didn't do that ... with full folder implementation everywhere.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

The ability for one attribute to belong to multiple folders makes little sense if folders are meant to be a way to manage attributes. So If they do that then they have to reconceptualize it from folders to tags and/or from management to organisation. Or actually just rename it seeing as that is what they actually implemented. 

The cloned folders in the view map are to my knowledge the only ones that function properly in terms of management - propagating its settings to its content. Although the interface is lacking a indication for which settings are propagated and which are overridden at item level. It is also strange that ordinary folders in the view map lacks this functionality.

BrunoH
Expert

Yes I appreciate to but why doesn't the Attribute Manager show them ?

You can copy Attributes from one project to another but not Attribute Folders why ?

You have to recreate them manually.

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

@BrunoH wrote:

You can copy Attributes from one project to another but not Attribute Folders why ?

When you import attributes, you have the option to import the folders too.

BarryKelly_0-1677205007199.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

That's right it's possible with the Attribute palette, but I was also speaking about the Attribute Manager you don't have this option with it, you even don't see the Folders, why ? as you can Import and export Attributes from it.

Construction Material.png

Attribute Manager.png

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

The original (old) Attribute Manager does not have the ability for folders.

That is why they created the new Attribute Palette.

But the palette does not do all that the manager could.

So now there are occasions where we need both.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27