Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

AC26 Folder BUG/Suggestion: New Attribute Palette

Eduardo Rolon

This Palette was set to replace the regular Attribute Manager. During the Beta a lot if users had to exert a lot of pressure to bring back the original one.

As is this palette should be renamed to "Folder Manager" and also add it to the regular Attribute Manager as a new tab.

EduardoRolon_0-1657982685021.png

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

3 REPLIES 3

So a substantial feature got saved at last minute and with it the ability to somewhat manage attributes but it also resulted in a failure to integrate the new functionality (organisation) with current functionality (management).

It is my understanding that the AC26 preview was done instead of an extended beta, this as an attempt to make the process more streamlined, effective and efficient. This is of course a huge waste of development resources that could be spent elsewhere. 

This were my thoughts on it:

My first impression of the new attribute manager is not accurately named- it is not a manager but a navigator and when docked next to the project navigator it seems evident that it as been designed as such.

The search and folder functions are welcome. But to really earn it's screen space an attribute navigator would have to be developed further, enabling interaction between the navigator and the model similar to the surface painter. Making it possible to filter attributes based on elements selected in model and to inject attributes to elements.

At the same time, the specifications of a navigator are irreconcilable with that of a manager which poses a problem if you limit yourself to just one feature which it seems GS for some reason has done - letting the manager functionality take the back seat. This is analog to what we have for the items in the project navigator which today are in dire need of a proper manager.

That it is still called a manager indicates a lack of a proper understanding of the difference between navigation and management.

A manager need the ability to:

-overview settings of multiple items,
-sort filter and organise based on settings,
-batch edit settings either through settings dialog or directly in the manager,
-pick up/inject settings between items.

Yes, we still have access to some of these abilities through attribute settings dialog but from a management perspective the resulting workflow is really bad.

What we do loose completely is the ability to manage imports. As they are done for all attributes at once we need a way to simultaneously overview and compare settings for internal and external attributes in the same dialog - as we can do in the old manager. If this is not possible in the new manager then we need a new dialog for imports.

GS really need to watch the stepping with this change as to avoid going one step forward and two steps back.

DGSketcher
Legend

And my current frustrations in actual use...

With the dual pane, (which I don't like), using search to find files to move to folders hides the folder pane.

After creating a folder or dragging files to a folder, the folder view changes so you have to scroll to try & find the folder you just created / used.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

And from this article:

https://gfxspeak.com/2022/07/21/archicad-project-management/

EduardoRolon_0-1659560650864.png

This is a lie.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator