Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Ability to Link 3D Documents to Project North so Shadows Update Correctly

Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
It seems that a 3D document saves Project North deep down in some non-accessible place and can only be updated by using the redefine option. This leads to potentially incorrect shadow generation when Project North is changed (unless I am missing a setting somewhere).

Given a 3D document is showing a live model, I feel there needs to at least be an option to have the north direction of the document follow project north so updates are automatic.

Currently we use 3D documents to create shadow diagrams and every document has to be redefined any time project north changes. Given our 3D documents are pre-created in our template they ALL need to be updated at least once on every project.

It is also concerning that there is no way to determine which way north was facing when the document was created. It's not visible in any settings dialogue that I can see so it is almost impossible to know if the shadows are facing the correct direction.
AC21 (8002 AUS FULL) | AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
4 REPLIES 4
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
From the 3D Document Settings (if it was created from the 3D Window), then go to the 3D Projection panel, and you can access the 3D Projection Settings from there. Then set to "Date and Time".
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
That lets you set the date and time correctly (our template has this all pre-created for each hour of the day)...but if you then go and change project north the 3D document will not change the shadow direction, it still generates shadows based off the direction project north was set to when the document was created.
James wrote:
From the 3D Document Settings (if it was created from the 3D Window), then go to the 3D Projection panel, and you can access the 3D Projection Settings from there. Then set to "Date and Time".
AC21 (8002 AUS FULL) | AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Matt wrote:
That lets you set the date and time correctly (our template has this all pre-created for each hour of the day)...but if you then go and change project north the 3D document will not change the shadow direction, it still generates shadows based off the direction project north was set to when the document was created.

Thanks for the additional info. Yes I can recreate the problem. It works automatically for 3D Window views, but not for 3D Docs - need to reopen the 3D Doc Settings and 3D Projection Settings (then OK). I've entered this into our bug database, with ID GISS-903.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
James wrote:
Thanks for the additional info. Yes I can recreate the problem. It works automatically for 3D Window views, but not for 3D Docs - need to reopen the 3D Doc Settings and 3D Projection Settings (then OK). I've entered this into our bug database, with ID GISS-903.
Great, fingers crossed a fix won't be too far away.

Thanks for the tip of only having to click OK on the settings to update the shadows, much better than having to redefine!