Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Ability to Lock Layers Set

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it would be nice to be able to lock the layers as a whole, not so that they cannot be draw on but so that new layers cannot be added.

I created some template files that include layer combinations and all the layers I want to use, but when merging / copying objects from documents that were created earlier or when importing drawings from other CAD packages, ArchiCAD adds all the new layers used by the other document without asking first.

I wish if the imported/copied object was not on a layer already existing in the file it would prompt you asking if you want to add elements to ArchiCAD layer or create new layers for elements that are on non existing layers.

I makes it really hard to standardize the drawing layers because ArchiCAD often adds layers to the document without telling you during copy or import commands.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with this and would extend it to include (optional) full administrative control over drawing attributes. As I see it this could be easily accomplished by extending the Teamwork functions to solo projects. This would also be a natural part of my wish to combine PLN, PLP and PLP into a single file type. (http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=1132)
Karl Ottenstein
Michael wrote:
I wish if the imported/copied object was not on a layer already existing in the file it would prompt you asking if you want to add elements to ArchiCAD layer or create new layers for elements that are on non existing layers.
Rather than just map to the ArchiCAD layer (and flatten the layering), I'd wish for a dialog that lists in one column the layers in the imported content that do not exist in the plan ... and in the second column a flyout dialog that lets me choose which existing layer to map that to ... or to add the layer to the project.

And, then Matthew's extension, too. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Two extesions to these ideas that have appeared before: Layer super-sets (aka folders) that control all the layers within and layer merging. So when you import/merge that file you have the option to map, as Karl said, but also the option to place all the new layers into a folder. Great for surveys. And when stray layers do creep in, wouldn't it be nice to tell AC to put all the stuff from Layer X into Layer Y?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
I agree with this and would extend it to include (optional) full administrative control over drawing attributes. As I see it this could be easily accomplished by extending the Teamwork functions to solo projects. This would also be a natural part of my wish to combine PLN, PLP and PLP into a single file type. (http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=1132)
Matthew,

Just out of curiosity how do you lock layer sets using Teamwork Functions. When I use teamwork it still allows team members to add layers to the project at will. It just underlines them until they send and receive; throwing my standards out of whack (especially when somebody carelessly imports AutoCAD drawings; it could add 100 layers to the project). It is also a problem because people then draw on layers that aren't in my defined layer combinations. I am looking for some way to prevent somebody from adding new layers to a project as oppose to preventing them from changing layer names or combinations.

Thanks,

Michael D. Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Michael wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Matthew,

Just out of curiosity how do you lock layer sets using Teamwork Functions. When I use teamwork it still allows team members to add layers to the project at will. It just underlines them until they send and receive; throwing my standards out of whack (especially when somebody carelessly imports AutoCAD drawings; it could add 100 layers to the project). It is also a problem because people then draw on layers that aren't in my defined layer combinations. I am looking for some way to prevent somebody from adding new layers to a project as oppose to preventing them from changing layer names or combinations.

Thanks,

Michael D. Scott
I was speaking in general principal, not present, specific practices or limitations. Attributes in general require team leader access to change. I also wish there were a way to lock out layer changes in Teamwork (at least something simpler than requiring approval to send and receive).