Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Ability to Schedule "Length of Reference Line" for Beams

Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
We need the ability to schedule the length of the reference line for beams.

It is incredibly frustrating not being able to schedule the length of the reference line of a beam. It can be scheduled for walls, so why not beams? Length Left and Length Right are not adequate in a lot of situations.

Example: Eave/gutter profiles. The beam has eave sheets on one side of the reference line and fascia & gutter on the other yet industry standard is to schedule the length at the edge of the roof plane i.e. the reference line. Currently we can only schedule the inner edge of the eave (not useful) or the outer edge of the gutter (also not useful).
AC21 (8002 AUS FULL) | AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
8 REPLIES 8
Lingwisyer
Guru
Have you tried using a railing instead of a beam and scheduling that instead? It allows your eave/gutter to be associated with your roof which is nice.

Related thread: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=61547&hilit=railing+eave

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
Matt wrote:
Example: Eave/gutter profiles. The beam has eave sheets on one side of the reference line and fascia & gutter on the other yet industry standard is to schedule the length at the edge of the roof plane i.e. the reference line. Currently we can only schedule the inner edge of the eave (not useful) or the outer edge of the gutter (also not useful).
This is a good example.
Personally I model my eaves and gutter separately, but we should have consistency.
We can schedule the length of the wall ref line, we should be able to do the same for the beam.

If you want to play around with 'Properties' and 'Expressions in properties', then you could take the left and right length and apply a shift to calculate the length of the fascia position.
Then schedule that.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
Lingwisyer wrote:
Have you tried using a railing instead of a beam and scheduling that instead? It allows your eave/gutter to be associated with your roof which is nice.

I'd never thought to try using a railing but after a bit of quick testing there is definitely potential! Thanks for the idea.

At the very least it can be scheduled correctly.
AC21 (8002 AUS FULL) | AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
Barry wrote:
Personally I model my eaves and gutter separately, but we should have consistency.

Modelling separately in our case just opens up another possibility for model inaccuracies when modifications are made, particularly given the only reason we would have to do it is the scheduling of the length. For all other purposes the single profile works well.
Barry wrote:
If you want to play around with 'Properties' and 'Expressions in properties', then you could take the left and right length and apply a shift to calculate the length of the fascia position.
Then schedule that.

I have toyed with this idea, the hard part being working out the shift as all profiles are different widths and some have horizontal stretch planes to adjust the width of the eave sheet. Would also be hard to determine what type of join is at each end (no join, internal corner, external corner) within the available parameters of the expressions in properties as this will also impact the calculation.

Seems like a lot of complicated calculation for something that should be a standard schedule option.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Matt wrote:
We need the ability to schedule the length of the reference line for beams.

It is incredibly frustrating not being able to schedule the length of the reference line of a beam. It can be scheduled for walls, so why not beams? Length Left and Length Right are not adequate in a lot of situations.

How about using the "3D Length" parameter in the "General" group?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
LaszloNagy wrote:
How about using the "3D Length" parameter in the "General" group?

I tried this and it just uses the 'left' length - not the reference line.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
Barry wrote:

I tried this and it just uses the 'left' length - not the reference line.

Barry.

It doesn't even seem to be using the Left Length. In my quick test I got Left Length = 113.85m, Right Length = 100.78m and 3D Length = 119.15m. All totally different and not sure how the 3D Length ended up being so much longer than any other length.
Barry Kelly
Interesting.
I just tested with a couple of beams mitring at a corner.
Ref lines 1000mm long with a 500mm offset to the beam.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27