Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Ability to connect schedules in layout

kmitotk
Advocate

It would be great if schedule views in layout could be connected one after another so that each schedule can move along as the schedule data update. It would make it much easier to split long data heavy schedule into short manageable schedules, or combine different schedule types (element, component, surface based) and make it look like one unified schedule in layout.

Kei Mito

Architect | Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager
ArchiCAD 26 & 27 JPN USA & INT | Windows 10

8 REPLIES 8
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear Kei,

Thank you very much for sharing your idea!

May I ask if you could elaborate a bit more on what it looks like? For splitting long schedule into smaller pieces on layout, we have Restructure Table and Split Drawing into Multiple Layouts function. I'm wondering whether this is what you're looking for?

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Minh,

Thank you for your reply.

I didn't mean to split schedule on a layout. What I'm wishing for is a function to join the end of one schedule and the top of another schedule on layout. That would enable combining of multiple schedules on a layout. 

So let's say you have a building materials schedule of the entire project and you want to split the schedule by material categories because the schedule got too heavy to handle (too long rebuilding time etc.), You do the split by preparing multiple per-category material schedules, and you later place them next to one anther on a layout so it looks like one schedule as an end result. The problem is that the materials change and each schedule gets longer, or shorter, as the project makes progress but the schedule placements on the layout will stay and thus it'll look messed up. The suggested functionality would keep the schedules on the layout tied together without needing to adjust the placement locations all the time.

Another situation would be when you want to combine different schedule types.

We create materials index using the component schedule and place it on multiple layout locations (mostly on the interior/exterior drawing layouts). The problem with the component schedule is that it only picks up the building materials. There are other surface-only materials such as paint and coating and they won't show up. So we use surface schedule separately to generate paint & coating material index (we don't want to use the surface schedule for the index of all the materials as the surface schedules are not ideal for that purpose because surfaces can't contain properties). We later combine them together in the layouts. The materials, again, will change as the project develops and the material indexes on the layout will get messed up.  We don't want that to happen.

Thank you,

Kei

Kei Mito

So you want the position of schedule 2 to be linked to the frame size of schedule 1?

So as the size of schedule 1 changes, the position of schedule 2 updates?

It is a good wish, but might be a bit tricky to implement.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes, I just want the size-to-fit frames of schedules on a layout to stick together side by side and stay that way when the schedule sizes change. 

In any case, it'd be helpful if there is a way to integrate multiple schedules into one, either you do it on a layout or in the schedule functionality itself.

Thanks,

Kei

Kei Mito

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear Kei,

Thank you very much for the explanation! I understand the wish now, and have entered it into our Wish List database (please refer to it as IDEA-4291). Hopefully our Product Management will consider it in the near future!

Thank you once again, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

OK, thank you!

Looking forward to seeing the development. 

Btw, is there a way to check on the status of the wish by the reference code? 

Kei Mito

Dear Kei,

At the moment, it is not possible yet. But we do have some plans regarding the Wish List, so stay tuned 🙂

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

OK, good to know, I will. Thank you Minh.

Kei Mito