Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Ability to select Dimension Text only using Find & Select

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There is another thread, which talks about Level Dimension values measured to Sea Level. This needs to be solved by setting each affected Level Dimension Text item in your Project and changing their Text value from "Measured Value" to "Custom Value":

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=50569

My related wish is that I would like to have the ability to select Dimension Text items (e.g. the Dimension Text portion of a Level Dimension) using Find & Select criteria. Currently when I try to pick up the parameters of a Level Dimension Text (ALT/OPT-click) to use them in the Find & Select Palette, only the Level Dimension element is recognized.
This means that I will have to go through the whole Project and select each Level Dimension Text item one by one to be able to change them. Not even parameter transfer works so I cannot pick the parameters of Level Dimension Text and inject them to another.

So I would like any Dimension Text to be selectable by Find & Select.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
7 REPLIES 7
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Good idea Laszlo.
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Also, the addition of multi-line Linear Dimension text has made editing these texts more common, so being able to use Find & Select to select these texts would also be very helpful.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
After dimensioning a floor plan, I wanted to omit the redundant wall thicknesses but entering a blank value to reduce clutter. I had to do that individually instead of using the "FIND" function.
Vincent G_
Enthusiast
LaszloNagy wrote:
There is another thread, which talks about Level Dimension values measured to Sea Level. This needs to be solved by setting each affected Level Dimension Text item in your Project and changing their Text value from "Measured Value" to "Custom Value":

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=50569

My related wish is that I would like to have the ability to select Dimension Text items (e.g. the Dimension Text portion of a Level Dimension) using Find & Select criteria. Currently when I try to pick up the parameters of a Level Dimension Text (ALT/OPT-click) to use them in the Find & Select Palette, only the Level Dimension element is recognized.
This means that I will have to go through the whole Project and select each Level Dimension Text item one by one to be able to change them. Not even parameter transfer works so I cannot pick the parameters of Level Dimension Text and inject them to another.

So I would like any Dimension Text to be selectable by Find & Select.
Ah man.. 400 level dims on concrete profile plans and you need to select each text one by one to set them as custom and add RL in front of measured value.. How counter productive.. I though only Revit had this kind of retarded / missing feature
Barry Kelly
Vincent wrote:
Ah man.. 400 level dims on concrete profile plans and you need to select each text one by one to set them as custom and add RL in front of measured value.. How counter productive.. I though only Revit had this kind of retarded / missing feature

No you don't.
Select all of the level dimensions (activate level dimension tool and press CTRL+A if you want all of them or you can limit an area with the marquee tool as well).
While they are all selected, hold SHIFT and select just one of the pieces of text.
You will now have the text options in the info box.
Add your custom text and they will all update.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Vincent G_
Enthusiast
Barry wrote:
Vincent wrote:

No you don't.
Select all of the level dimensions (activate level dimension tool and press CTRL+A if you want all of them or you can limit an area with the marquee tool as well).
While they are all selected, hold SHIFT and select just one of the pieces of text.
You will now have the text options in the info box.
Add your custom text and they will all update.

Barry.
I've been looking online for that for so long without finding that trick anywhere, you just enlightened my day Sir, what am I saying, my whole week!
Lingwisyer
Guru
Not sure if how you make the selection is still relevant in AC25:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=283679#p283679

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660