Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Action & Command - 'Look Up Table' / 'Starter'

Anonymous
Not applicable
As a newby quite often I search for tbe specific location/icon/menu entry/pet palette/navigator item location/menu bar/side bar/tool bar for the required action, tool, item or command.

It would be nice if there was an Action & Menu Look Up Table, for example as follow:

- functions as overview
- simple design just text
- searchable with a search field
- plain alphabetic list with all the actions and commamds within Archicad (24+)
- next to every action or command there are 4 fields
- a field with a definition description, example copy: action to create an unlinked duplicate
- a field with the menu location, example: menu | edit > copy, context menu / right mouse button
- a field with the icon location: example: icon | design toolbar, main toolbar
- a field with the assigned shortcut, example shortcut | ctrl + c
- might be located at the menu > help section

---

The same table and info might also be reachable at the setting. This list and its info can be combined with the shortcut setting. Additionially these settings alteration could easally be adjusted.

---

In the future this can be developt into another approach menu item lookup and activation. Just like how it works in operating systems.
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
3x3 wrote:
- plain alphabetic list with all the actions and commamds within Archicad (24+)

You can see this list in the Work Environment.
As a new user, have you had a look at the Work Environment?
It will show you all the information you want (maybe not exactly in the way you want) and it allows you to customise everything in Archicad to work just the way you want it to.
It won't help you to search and use a command if that is what you are wanting.
You can always search the reference guide or the on-line help to find commands, where they are and what they do.

3x3 wrote:
- next to every action or command there are 4 fields
- a field with a definition description, example copy: action to create an unlinked duplicate

Yes it shows a description of the command.

3x3 wrote:
- a field with the menu location, example: menu | edit > copy, context menu / right mouse button
- a field with the icon location: example: icon | design toolbar, main toolbar

The problem with this is you can have the command in multiple menus - as may times as you want.
And the icon for the command can appear in as many toolbars as you want - not just one.

The menus and toolbars are all customisable, so you can set up whatever you want to see.

3x3 wrote:
- a field with the assigned shortcut, example shortcut | ctrl + c

You can view all of the assigned shortcuts (and they are customisable too) from the Work Environment as a list in your browser - which you can then print.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
'Have you had a look at the Work Environment'
Yes, if course. But it was more a global overview.
Did have several looks into it, never further into the menu section.

'The menus and toolbars are all customizable, so you can set up whatever you want to see.'
For a newbie, it is better to learn the default method and settings. So there was no need for reordering the menus.
Your info and attachment image did help out, thanks.
(Did use the shortcut section to search for a command, though. But like u said it give partial info; which shortcut to use if enabled but no menu entry position info)

'You can always search the reference guide or the online help to find commands.'
Although this approach will give you the info, it is a bit out of the work process. And it could that you have to search and read a bit before you get the info. Simple presentation with a list with a definition and location within the program would ease your mind and process. (I know this method and possibility from another 3D program and it helps a lot > Even for experienced users)

'The problem with this is you can have the command in multiple menus - as many times as you want.'
You could make a smart list where the location description changes when the respective setting also changes. But this can become a little project within itself. Wouldn't like the developers to put more load on them. A simple list will do for me (with default settings and position - the developers must have such a list).

'You can view all of the assigned shortcuts (and they are customizable too) from the Work Environment as a list in your browser - which you can then print.'
Yes, I do use this list. But for Archicad 24 found some kind of 'error' (can not check it now, but it might be that some didn't work on ms windows). An example is that you do have a 'wireframe' shortcut, but there is no default shortcut to go back. You can choose '3D window style' within the submenu of 'view' to get the normal view. This means the list is not complete. If you want to set this up, the normal 3D view as shortcut then '3D window style', it's menu name, could not be found within the shortcut section. This is because the action is in the shortcut setting section mention with a different name as shading.

'It [Work Environment - shortcut and menu section] won't help you to search and use a command if that is what you are wanting.'
That is why I have posted it in the User Interface Wishes forum section.
Thanks !