Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Add Composite Selection to Surface Mesh Type

Marc H
Advisor
The mesh tool provides three types: Surface, Skirt, and Solid Body. However, the growth of BIM has increased the demand for technical site accuracy. BIM visualization and technical coordination for civil, hardscape design, and landscape architecture all need effective design tools. One such tool could be adding the ability to choose a composite for the Surface type. This would be a natural and versatile tool for all manner of hardscape, which require the many elevational points and custom perimeters the mesh tool currently provides. Meshes also work well with SEO and Openings.

There appear to be many voices for this need with various proposals (e.g., stacking meshes, re-purposing roof tool, GDL programming, etc.) dating back to 2008. Many have voiced this request consistently through to the present. Many noted it would be of great benefit for their projects. This could fairly avoid spending many hours on work-arounds with less than optimal results.
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
2 REPLIES 2
Lingwisyer
Guru
Though not ideal, some of the other guys on here have been scripting an object which can convert a mesh into layered materials.

See this thread for the object.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Marc H
Advisor
Thank you, Ling,
Though I am short on AC programming experience, I may give the script a try. My work involves a lot of phased, site feasibility/planning, as well as the need for quick technical section cuts and constructibility studies. After working with a variety of mesh methods, it just seems if we have quick picks of our favorite composites at our fingertips, it would provide a very nimble tool for all manner of running section cuts as well as general modeling and visualization.
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors