BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Add ability to enter simple arithmetic expressions anywhere where numerical input is expected

Professor Pickle
Advocate
I'd like to be able to enter simple expressions such as "=1234 * 12" or "=345 + 2048", etc., anywhere where numerical input is expected. These expressions would then be evaluated to generate the final input.

The expression "language" should handle all basic operators (+, - , *, /) as well as parenthesis to ensure correct precedence of operators.
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

6 REPLIES 6
Lingwisyer
Guru
I would think that having it accept multiple inputs at once would require extensive reprogramming unless there is already some calculator macro programmed somewhere... Same as allowing it within the parameter input dialogues... On the other hand, there is already the functionality to use single addition or subtraction when modifying via hotspots. Expanding this to allow single multiplication or division would be plenty.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Professor Pickle
Advocate
I don't think that this would require extensive reprogramming. All numerical inputs already filter out characters that are not numeric, i.e. they won't let you enter non-numbers, except for the "-" symbol. All that is required is to allow the entered string to begin with the "=" symbol, which can then be interpreted as an expression to be evaluated. It's a pretty simple enhancement that would save loads of time.
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

Lingwisyer
Guru
These parameters are currently defined by a Length Variable or an Angle Variable. These would either need to be reprogrammed or a new variable type would need to be created to accept expressions.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
You can add and subtract now by overwriting the value.
i.e. type 300+ to add 300 to the figure, or 300- to subtract 300.
It might be a double -- (i.e. 300--) if you are an imperial unit user - I am not sure as I am metric.

Unfortunately it does not work for multiplication or division.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Kvalheim
Contributor
Any news regarding this? This seems like such a huge improvement with very little effort to implement. I think it should work exactly as in Rhinoceris where any numerical input is automatically interpreted and evaluated when using arithmetic operators, without having to start with '='.

I constantly use this in Rhino and it's a massive timesaver. There are so many instances in Archicad where this would be useful, i.e. setting up a basic wall thickness quickly by inputing '198+48+12+12' instead of first calculating manually and then inputing. It's not complicated math, but this is just one example and depending on the time of day any math is complicated math. It's also potentially distracting to use a separate tool to do arithmetics or calculating it in your head. If you have brittle focus like myself, remaining in a good flow of work is pretty important, perfectly examplified by me now spending 10 minutes writing a post on the archicadforum because I got distracted when I couldn't do the calculation in the dialogue.

Now back on the grind.
Barry Kelly
Kvalheim wrote:
Any news regarding this?

No, nothing has changed.
And there is no consistency between the numerical input fields either.

For example.
Select the wall height and type 300+
It will add 300 to the original figure.

Select the wall width and type 50+
Nothing will happen and when you now click away from that field, it will change to 50.

It would be able to do this in all numerical fields, with the inclusion of division and multiplication as well.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!