BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Add new layouts to the end of a subset.

Anonymous
Not applicable
When selecting a subset with the intention of adding a new layout, it always seems like a nuisance to have the layout added to the top of the list, momentarily incrementing the page numbers of all layouts previously in the subset. I then drag the newly created layout to the end of the list, putting it in its rightful position and correcting all the numbers.

Nuisance factors include:

1) Almost always requiring the same extra "housekeeping" steps

2) Worrying that a new layout accidentally left in the first position will throw off numbering of existing layouts at a critical time.

3) Worrying that a hurried relocation of the newly created layout will position it not at the end of the subset list, but outside the subset, in the wilderness, so to speak.

Thanks for listening.
8 REPLIES 8
Chazz
Enthusiast
Wish granted.

Right click within the subset EXACTLY where you want the new layout and select New Layout from the contextual popup menu.

It will appear right where you want it with no further housekeeping
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Eduardo Rolon
What's wrong with right clicking the last layout on the list within the Subset and selecting "New Layout" it will appear underneath the one selected.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps because it is not intuitive... Adding a sheet to the end of the subset should be the default behavior...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Millard is correct. It's not enough to be able to do the right thing (right-clicking as described above. thanks guys). It's also important to prevent the wrong thing from happening. I would say a user clicking on a subset icon and then creating a new layout is within the bounds of reasonably intuitive behavior. At that reasonably intuitive moment, there is an unnecessary risk of messing up the layout numbering.

Designers of software as complex as ArchiCAD need to anticipate new users, or users in large organizations, not just the well-seasoned cowboys (like us) who will usually develop their own set of techniques and quality/error checks to produce good work.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Agree to all. Well said. And I like being referred to as a cowboy.
Eduardo Rolon
I think that I disagree , It is consistent, the problem is that it is not consistent the way that you want.

Layout Will Always create a New One Below the one you have selected (does not matter if it is a layout or subset), it does not matter what method you use for this.

If you want a to create a Layout at the end of the subset then you select the last layout of that subset.

The way you want it will create two results, One when you select a Subset and another when you have a layout selected.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Chazz
Enthusiast
ejrolon wrote:
I think that I disagree , It is consistent, the problem is that it is not consistent the way that you want.
Agreed sort of, but ultimately I have to side with Millard. If you just select the subset and click the new layout button, it puts it at the top which I think is odd. Still in their infinite wisdom, GS has given us a path around their upside-down inside out world. In the grand scheme of things this is small potatoes indeed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
More often than not I tend to drag a copy of an existing layout. If you copy a layout similar to the one you want it already has the correct settings and additional non-master notes (still doing scale this way, unfortunately), then you just select the drawing on the layout and "Link drawing to..." and it also has the correct settings. You are also placing the layout exactly where you want it in doing this. Sometimes you don't want it tacked on to the end of a subset either.

Many ways to peel a feline.

(And I wished the right-click method worked for Views like it does for Layouts as described above. Now that, I could use)
Learn and get certified!