Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Add object to beam and columns' segments

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
Since AC 23 add segments for beam and cloumn,I wonder Why we can't add object to this segments
I mean that avalible for railing and stairs part and curtain wall panel.
I understand if they add this. that will limit the ability of controlling like ability of curve the beam ( like taper with curved beam now) but we can model any beam or column and when we need to modify this column only the part without object can be modifed .
only add option like ( save object as beam \column segment)
maybe it is not essential, but will give very great detailed beam and column
34 REPLIES 34
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, that would be great. It would enable us to model practically any kind of Column or Beam geometry.
Essential, in my opinion.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
With some patience and a lot of individual complex profiles, you can make just about any column/beam that you want.

This one was in a demo file from Central Innovation that I replicated.
Multiple layers of complex profiles.
The complex profile that makes up the bolts on the sides even have modifiers to adjust the bolt size.
The profile is actually only half the bolt height placed and then placed again but mirrored (swapped) to form the full bolt head.

So I think the images in the original post could be done without any added objects.
Not saying that that might not be a useful option still.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:

So I think the images in the original post could be done without any added objects.
Not saying that that might not be a useful option still.

Barry.
Hello Barry,
No I don't think that .
the first Image the red part has handle,which is vertical object it is very hard to do with profile .
the second image ( I had taken a photo of it )the top part of column has taper shape but starts with circle and ends with rectangle and this impossible to do with column tool and it very hard to be done in archicad even if you use morph ...
and what about classical and historical column ?
since Railing tools has revolve option from profile , and object and sweep (for nose of stair ) I think and least the revole and object for segment should be is both column and beam .
and I think Graphisoft knows that (even in their exsample and tutorial ) the tools some time used to creat something else because morph tools dose not have (sweep from profile, revolve from profile ,refrence line and loft ) so we use beam and column to make any thing we think we might change its profile (windows casing for instance)
and that another big wish I think Graphisoft is working on with new windows /door tool .
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion.

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it into our WishList database (please refer to it in the future as Wish #12627). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

P/s: Barry, that's an awesome profile! I myself couldn't think that we can even model such a thing with ARCHICAD alone! Guess I need to update my modeling skill

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Barry Kelly
I had a few minutes spare so here is my attempt of one of the columns.
The handle can't be round but hexagonal or octagonal is possible.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great job Barry!
Could you post the column settings with all segments and Complex Profiles involved?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
I had a few minutes spare so here is my attempt of one of the columns.
The handle can't be round but hexagonal or octagonal is possible.

Barry.
thank you Barry that is great
Barry Kelly
Braza wrote:
Could you post the column settings with all segments and Complex Profiles involved?
One better, here is a MOD file that you can merge into your file.
Do it in a blank file (not a real job) as it will contaminate with my attributes (materials, layers, etc)

The surface materials will probably make no sense as this was done in my custom template and you won't have the texture files.
Ignore the size - it it quite large - I was just messing around.

For the horizontal handle you will see that it is just a complex profile with a modifier allowing the side of the handle to be adjusted.
In the column 2 segments of this profile are added and are set to be tapered.
In 3D you can then modify the top edge of the top handle segment and the bottom edge of the bottom handle segment to form a hexagon shape (if you want to do it properly you will need to draw it in 2D to work out the correct sizes).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry.
The only three down sides I see are:
1. The complexity of the solution (Number of nodes and CPs);
2. The possible decrease of performance compared to a dumb 3d object;
3. You are limited to horizontal geometry along the column axis.
But anyway is a very good example of the versatility of the tool.