BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Add object to beam and columns' segments

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
Since AC 23 add segments for beam and cloumn,I wonder Why we can't add object to this segments
I mean that avalible for railing and stairs part and curtain wall panel.
I understand if they add this. that will limit the ability of controlling like ability of curve the beam ( like taper with curved beam now) but we can model any beam or column and when we need to modify this column only the part without object can be modifed .
only add option like ( save object as beam \column segment)
maybe it is not essential, but will give very great detailed beam and column
34 REPLIES 34
Barry Kelly
1). Yes, I guess it can get a bit involved, but at least it gives users a non-GDL solution.
2). Not sure if there is any performance hit, I haven’t noticed one, but I have not used segmented columns and beams intensively.
3). Not quite sure what you mean here. For columns, the vertical can be adjusted with the segment height and the horizontal can be adjusted with the taper widths and modifiers in the complex profiles.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry Kelly wrote:
3). Not quite sure what you mean here. For columns, the vertical can be adjusted with the segment height and the horizontal can be adjusted with the taper widths and modifiers in the complex profiles.
I meant if one need to for example: Make the horizontal hexagonal bar tilted with the horizontal.
Barry Kelly
Braza wrote:
I meant if one need to for example: Make the horizontal hexagonal bar tilted with the horizontal.
No, that can't be done.
Something like that would need to be modelled separately.
Even in this example I think I would model the horizontal handle as a separate beam.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Braza wrote:
No, that can't be done.
Something like that would need to be modelled separately.
Even in this example I think I would model the horizontal handle as a separate beam.

Barry.
So I think it is still a good wish. Especially with unordinary or classic column. In my opinion, the main problem is when you add a gdl as a segment you will lose most of options of column .
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
For a local demo here, I made a few other examples of what can be done with the Modifiers and Segmented Columns. You can slant geometry if you use a Modifier to move edges between top/bottom of a segment. But I'd agree that using a small Beam (which can now be round) in the example above would be simpler.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks James. Really nice examples!
This new column/beam features look very promising.
Could you tell us if there is any significant decrease of AC performance due to extensive use of this capability?
Biggest possible improvement to complex elements.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Braza wrote:
Could you tell us if there is any significant decrease of AC performance due to extensive use of this capability?
You’re welcome, I’m only aware that more complex geometry results in more polygons so keep that in mind. Also, if the geometry is too complex, then the projected 2D appearance can be slow - which is a reason we don’t project all elements. Symbolic 2D is inherently much faster to draw than getting the 2D from the 3D.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
David Shorter
Advisor
if you change the post section the a % rather than a fixed dim then the height of the post can be changed for each placement. See attached
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Is there a way to have a beam ending like the one attached?
Mac OSX 13.6.4 | AC 26 INT 3001 FULL
Learn and get certified!